Chrysler Financial and Refinan

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Janet Reed, Nov 5, 2000.

1. Janet Reed

Janet Reed Guest

Three months ago I purchased a new Chrysler for $23,000 with no money down and a trade in of a 1990 Ford Taurus. Chrysler Financial Corporation financed the new vehicle at 12.99% for 7 years. Like a dummy I agreed to all the insurance and extended warranty coverages and am angry that most of my payments thus far on the vehicle seem to be eaten up by interest. I have no bad marks on my credit report at all. But the the "finance director" at the Chrysler dealership said that since I had never before financed a vehicle, the 12.99% interest rate was fair and standard. Is it really? How long do I have to keep paying before I can consider refinancing with my credit union. I was thinking of sending some extra money to bring the balance down to $15,000 or less then going to my credit union or to Wells Fargo for a re-financing. Or do I have to wait a full year? Do you have any experience with this and will you please share it with me. Thank you.

2. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

RE: Chrysler Financial and Ref

Janet,
    I had the same situation except with Pontiac. I financed my first vehicle at 18.9%, after about 5-6 months, I contacted my credit union and refinanced at 10.9%. This was a time that I was starting to establish credit. So i suggest waiting 5-6 months, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Reshod

Janet Reed wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Three months ago I purchased a new Chrysler for $23,000 with no money down and a trade in of a 1990 Ford Taurus. Chrysler Financial Corporation financed the new vehicle at 12.99% for 7 years. Like a dummy I agreed to all the insurance and extended warranty coverages and am angry that most of my payments thus far on the vehicle seem to be eaten up by interest. I have no bad marks on my credit report at all. But the the "finance director" at the Chrysler dealership said that since I had never before financed a vehicle, the 12.99% interest rate was fair and standard. Is it really? How long do I have to keep paying before I can consider refinancing with my credit union. I was thinking of sending some extra money to bring the balance down to $15,000 or less then going to my credit union or to Wells Fargo for a re-financing. Or do I have to wait a full year? Do you have any experience with this and will you please share it with me. Thank you.

3. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Specify Reduction Amounts

Janet:
    If youâ??re going to pay extra make certain to add a note with payment and specific instructions.

If you simply send what is equal to several payments, CCC may apply most of the amount to interest (posting such money as a payment group). If you specify the extra is for a principle reduction, say in addition to one payment youâ??re safe.

Obviously, youâ??ll want to do the latter so as to pay-down the principle balance and eventually refi with your credit union (or whomever). Also make a file and save all appropriate records for reference.

Keep The Faith,
    Anthony Villaseñor
    CreditDefenses.com

4. ED

ED Well-Known Member

RE: Chrysler Financial and Ref

In my experience credit unions wont lend you more than the value of the car. Seeing as you've only had it for 3 months, you probably owe more than they would consider it worth. This is based on my experience with one credit union.

It cant help to call your credit union and ask them their policies on refinancing (without actually submitting a credit application).