CITI approved with crap scores !!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fletchlive, Oct 3, 2003.

1. fletchlive

fletchlive Well-Known Member

FICO scores are 587/608/618

Citibank charged off about $5000 in 2000 but it never showed up anywhere on my credit report. I do have about 3 other paid charge-offs and an unpaid 7500 Asset Acceptance collection that does show on all 3. I guess there is not a blacklist for CITI!

To my surprise, I was approved for the Gold AA card from Citibank. It was an online instant approval with a 2400 CL. Not great specs though - $50 annual fee and 13.99 fixed.

Here is my question - is the GOLD AA card a good card in people's opinion? I know little about it - just that you get a few airline miles somehow. Anything anyone can add about this card would be appreciated.

2. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

Do you know who they pulled and what that respective score was?

Thanks,

DB:)

3. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

When you receive the card call them and request to change it to a Plat Select or another card you want with no anual fee (and lower APR).

4. fletchlive

fletchlive Well-Known Member

equifax and score was roughly 600

is it common for them to convert the card to a better one? that seems strange.

5. daveberk

daveberk Well-Known Member

The Aadvantage card is a good card but you should stick with it only if you're going to charge at least $1500 a month to earn enough miles to make it worthwhile to pay the annual fee. Since the interest rate is high, it's best to use it for recurring monthly expenses that ordinarily you would pay by check or cash and then pay in full each month. I charge internet, cell phone, health ins. premiums, groceries, gas and most other everyday purchases--even my morning coffee since I purchase a cash card for that with it.

While 13.99 is what they offer at the website, you can get that rate lowered after you've had the card for a while. Mine is at 7.9 which is lower than my plat. select recently jacked for 8.99 to 11.99. I use the plat. select almost exclusively for low APR balance transfers.

6. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

I was approved as well - same CL, same APR (same annual fee)

That's OKAY!!! I was almost totally maxxed out on all my other cards - I could use this one just for my utilization ratio's.

I also am an authorized user on a Plat Select account, but I'm the primary on this new account.

I wonder if it would be possible to combine this limit with the Plat Select and get a CL "increase" and get 0% APR til June, 04?

7. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly what there standards are. I've actually had 3 accounts with them in the past - ALL with perfect history and closed by me on good terms. My most recent card with them was in 2001...about a 2 years after some bad stuff went onto my CR...including a couple of 90 day lates. Now, they won't approve me because of the 90 day lates, even though my scores are in the 680s-690s. They must have changed around their business model a little bit is the only thing I can think of. But it's a classic example of a business getting screwed out of business because they live and die by the FICO scores and payment history overall. In the good ole days, they'd have seen that I had 3 accounts with them in perfect standing and approved me this time around too.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TRADE FOR PLATINUM SELECT $0.00 FEE

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Citi is very good about changing or combining cards. You can convert it to a Platinum Select or some other card, then wait a little while and apply for another gold AA card.

I'm surprised that you got it with a Citi chargeoff, though. Their memory on their accounts has typically been long.

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Citi doesn't usually approve on scores alone, faztcobra. Did you try calling and asking for a reconsideration? This seems to work sometimes.

You could also ask for one of your old accounts to be reopened if possible.

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

That annual fee isn't bad. Most rewards cards have an annual fee, because you're getting the reward. And, as someone said, you might be able to get the rate down.

The question is whether or not you want the American Airline miles. If not, convert to another card.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DO YOU PLAN ON SPENDING MORE THAN $2,000 PER MONTH ON THE CARD???

If not...try PLATINUM SELECT $0.00

ANNUAL FEE vs "RETAIL" COST OF TICKET

13. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Isn't there a minimum CL for the Platinum Select? I thought it was $3k min, but I'll definitely ask to convert the card!

14. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

Thank you for requesting a Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®. We will contact you at the address you provided as soon as your request is processed.

15. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Well-Known Member

this makes no sense...i applied yesterday, and got the same "we'll contact you blah blah blah"

I have no idea who they pulled, but current scores:

TU = 624
    EXP = 651
    EQ = 589

I don't "need" this card...not sure if i should call and ask for a reconsider...

DB :)

16. catnap1972

catnap1972 Well-Known Member

Minimum on PS is around $1000 (that's what they gave me to begin with).

BTW, FICO scores are irrelevant in getting approval from CITI...they have their own model.

17. daveberk

daveberk Well-Known Member

According to the website "some credit lines may be as low as $500" for plat. select. Min. is $1K for the AA card.

18. DemPooches

DemPooches Well-Known Member

Combining credit lines with Citi is no problem at all. When I've gotten a new one, I just call as soon as the new card comes in and tell them that I don't think I'm going to be able to get as much use from it as from my PS and can I just close the new one and combine the credit line with my existing PS?

They have never batted an eye. I've done it 3 times. I've gotten 3 of my 4 Citi line increases that way.

Be aware that the new credit line does appear on your credit report as a closed account, zero balance, paid as agreed.

DemPooches

19. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Citi checked TransUnion.

Score between 625 and 630.

Just FYI.

20. rjg001

rjg001 Member

Have those of you that applied and were approved received your cards?

I was inspired by this thread to apply for the Gold AAdvantage card. I was approved online with a credit limit of $4,000. They checked Transunion and my score was 664 according to myfico.com.

Today I receive a letter in the mail indicating that they were DECLINING to issue me a card, but that I was guaranteed approval for a secured card! Obviously, I am pissed.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommendations on anything I should do to get the card? Call? PFB?