Citi Credit Protector

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mist, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased the Citi Credit Protector Service and had a situation where they actually had to have the coverage take over payments? I'm in a situation where I may be furloughed out of my current location but do have the option of doing a "bump and roll" which would mean commuting to another city. I don't have the packet yet with details of credit protector and therefore have no way of knowing if it would protect me given my scenario. Any insight into this would be most appreciated.

Mist

2. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Mist..

I don't know much about credit protectors ..... Sorry... :-( BUT.... I wanted to wish you the best of luck..!!!!

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

you have to be fired and the credit protector must be active before such action occurs. Call and ask them the details, they are more than happy to give you a free 3 month trial. I think you need to be a member for a certain period of time before it kicks in.

Definitely, a good way, if you have an idle card, get fired/layed off, cash advance $5000 bucks, and activate the protector until u get a new job..

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Involuntary unemployment of any kind, this one is in effect immediately in my state, you have to read details for each state to see if there is a waiting period.

5. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Thanks Breeze and Sam. I don't have the details and they told me it would take 4 to 6 wks (!!!!) to get my packet. I applied by phone and it will be active in 72 hours. I didn't want to call and tell them my specific situation or even to ask questions about it because it occurred to me that they don't have to insure me at all if they don't want to. I don't know how they would consider the fact that I could stay employed if I bump and roll my seniority to another location or take the furlough. There is, in fact, a "choice" here. Doing so entails a commute by air which I can do albeit with much stress and aggravation or moving to another city which is out of the question.

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I got mine in a couple of weeks. If you qualify for unemployment (check on it) you automatically qualify for the benefit.

My question about using this benefit, is what will it do to your credit. After a person files a claim, will they report that you are now unemployed? Anybody know?

7. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Breeze,
    Thanks. I do know that in my circumstance, if I chose furlough over bump and roll, that I would indeed be eligible for unemployement.

Your question, however, is something that I never even thought of and I sure would like to find out. It is insurance so I don't think, although I could be naive here, that they would have the right to cause any damage to my credit history or to divulge any information with respect to unemployment.

Mist

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

umm they pay your interest only, for the period of unemployment, no principal if i remember right. Citi has been known to close accounts for telling them you have no job...

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

As an insurance agent, I can tell you, you will get the contract and you can read it for yourself. Ignore speculation as to what's in your contract. Read it, and if you have any questions about what it says, I will be happy to answer them.

As I recall, the Virginia version (and again, it is different in different states) is very reasonable. I forget, because I have it on all my cards, but it either suspends the account entirely, or it makes the minimum payment. I have both kinds. It covers involuntary job loss, disability, and family leave. In every case, you have to document the situation. I took it because my mother is a cancer patient, and when she went through chemo and ration I had to take family leave and stay with her. At that time I didn't have any cards, but since I do now, and it could happen again, I am happy to pay for the insurance But again family leave is not available in all states.

Personally, I am sure they report employment information in general, that's how it gets on your credit reports in the first place.

As far as selling the insurance to you and then closing your account if you use the insurance, that's begging for a lawsuit, class action style. I doubt it. Citi is not sleazy.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Ooops! forgot to add one other thing, it does not cover an unspecified period of time, the payout time is specified - and again, I would have to read the contract to be certain, but most likely, it's one year, or until the existing balance (at the time of the claim) is paid off, whichever comes first.

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Ummmm sam, no offense intended, but you'll have to answer insurance questions on a board where there is no agent, LOL. ;)

12. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Mist, I don't have any info on this, but I just wanted to wish you all the best!