Citi, Discover,AMEX.....Which One??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eman, Sep 26, 2001.

1. eman

eman Well-Known Member

Now that my file is cleaned, I'm thinking of getting another card. I was thinking of either applying with Discover, Citibank, or AMEX blue. They all have student cards which is why I would apply with them.

I have had old charge offs with Citibank (paid) and Discover (not paid but sold). None of those accounts appear on any of my files so I don't think they would know. Do they check their own files to see if I have had an account with them in the past?

I have had no history with AMEX but I know they are the toughest to get. Does anyone know what their requirements for a student card blue are?

I have 3 credit cards already. My oldest is 18 months and newest is 6 months. All the balances are low (17% of CL). Should I wait until my oldest is 2 years old? Any thoughts out there?

2. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

For Amex Blue...Make sure you attend a 4 year school before applying....I have been shafted since I am at a 2 year college :(

3. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

If you want the best card, go for AMEX Blue. Do remember that Amex and Discover aren't as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard. My second recommendation would be CitiBank, and lastly Discover. I really don't like Discover, just never had a preference for the company.

4. eman

eman Well-Known Member

Re: Citi, Discover,AMEX.....Which O

I go to a 4 year school. How do they verify where you go to school especially if you apply online.

I mainly suggested AMEX and Discover because they complete the 4 card cycle of all credit cards. And I know that AMEX appears to look very exclusive to many.

What are AMEX's requirements? Which report do they usually pull? How many inquiries are too much for them?

5. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

They ask...If you were to say FSU, well thats a four year...If you were to say TCC...that's a 2 year

6. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Citi has a long memory - you may be on their blacklist unless you specifically (when you paid the charged off account) requested that they clear your file so that in the future you could apply for new credit.

Discover doesn't appear to have a memory (based on experience).

Sign-up for one of the online score providers (CreditExpert or Equifax) and see what your score is.

Good luck,
    -mj

7. eman

eman Well-Known Member

My score as of 9/22 with Equifax is 702 but I might have two new inquiries.