Citi Payments "PROPER FORM" - ???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mist, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Read this from the citibank site for credit card payments. First of all, it has been advised all over the place NOT to write your account number on any checks! I stopped doing that years ago! Secondly, if you don't mail a check in an envelope and send it via snail mail, is it not "PROPER FORM"? I use Yahoo Bill Pay, I wonder if they will post it in a timely fashion...

---------------------------------------
    Payment Address Locator

Mail Payment To:

Citibank/Choice
    P.O. Box 6001
    The Lakes, NV 88901-6001

CREDITING PAYMENTS:
    For payments by regular mail, please allow 5-7 days for your payment to reach us. Your payment must be received in proper form at our processing facility by 1:00 p.m., local time, on a bank business day, in order to be credited to your account as of that day. All payments received at the processing facility in proper form after that hour will be credited as of the following bank business day. There may be a delay of up to 5 days in crediting a payment sent by mail if it is not in the proper form or is addressed to a location other than the address above, or, for courier or express mail payments, to the Express Payment address set forth below. The business days of the bank are Monday through Friday, excluding Federal Holidays.
    PROPER FORM for payments sent by mail or courier.
    For a payment to be in proper form, you should:
    â?¢ ENCLOSE your check or money order. No cash or foreign currency please.
    â?¢ INCLUDE your account number and name on the front of your check or money order.

For Overnight Delivery:

Citibank
    Attention: Payment Mail Opening
    111Sylvan Ave.
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632

Please remember to include your account number on the check. Your payment must be received in proper form, at the proper address, by 1:00 p.m. Eastern time, on a bank business day, in order to be credited as of that day. All payments received in proper form, at the proper address, after 1:00 p.m. Eastern time will be credited as of the next bank business day.

Close this window

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Why don't you want to put your account number on your check? Sheesh, your bank account number is on the check, for heaven's sake.

Citibank doesn't play games with your payment, BTW. I pay mine online. It takes 5 days to credit the account most of the time. Apparently they wait until it clears to credit the account. But they don't play the "late payment, big fee" game.

Also, payments sent via snail mail using your own envelopes, instead of theirs, can take longer to be credited to any CC account. Payments are processed with automated equipment, which opens the envelopes, separates out the check and payment slip, and scans them. People don't open the envelopes and read the checks, machines do. So, payments in other kinds of envelopes have to be processed by hand, and can take longer to credit.

breeze

3. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Do you use Citi's online pay or another, from your own bank/Quicken/Yahoo?

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I use Citi's online payments. Highly recommend it. All but one of my cards has their own online payment site, and I use them. I haven't had to use any other service. I use yahoo's calendar to remind me to schedule my payments on the right date. Not a single problem.

I do have to snailmail my Associates payment, but I always check via automated telephone system to make sure they have received it on time. Oh, and my water bill, LOL. The city should definitely make that available - it is a pain to mail it.

breeze

5. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I really like the Yahoo Bill pay but i just opened a PNC checking account and may use their bill pay service instead. I'm away from home a lot and really need to have payments pre-set. What I'm thinking is to have Yahoo or PNC automate minimum payments just a day or two after my usual statement date to be totally safe and then I could manually input the substantial payments myself with a reminder alert from yahoo calendar.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Account numbers on checks are required for on time payment...

Also some banks type the account number on the back of the check during processing...so if you are afraid of this, use money orders, or an on-line payment system. But if the payment is not posted to your account, checks are a good way to prove payment...EXCEPT FOR THE IRS.

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Mist, that sounds like it would work great.

breeze

8. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

They ask for your account number on your check in case it gets separated from the return part of your billing statement when it gets opened and handled. I would never pay anything by check without writing the account number on the check.

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

uhh just use accountonline.com, you get points for using that and their "no paper statement".