Citi question (Oh Sam....... :)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Sep 17, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Hey, I was wondering how hard it would be to eventually upgrade my citi AA silver (which hopefully arrives today!).....is it hard to change it to the gold world MC? Is it possible to change it to the regular Gold one? Do they pull new inquiries, and what should the score be? Or what about their other cards (like Platinum, Dividend, Sony) - how hard are they to get? I have all my derogs in dispute mode right now on EQ and am showing a 620 score. If I could get a second Citi it would be bye bye to a recent sub sub primer.

Steph

2. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I upgraded my aadvantage silver to a platinum select just by calling CSR .

3. author_22

Did they pull an inquiry for that? Had you been instantly approved? How old was the silver account? :)

Steph

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Yes just tell them. Btw, citicorp did pull a hard inquiry when i moved my gold AA to platinum select/combined.

citi did not pull anything for the silver AA's to change.

go figure.

just call up, and say, "I'd like to switch my gold AA product to the citibank platinum select".

thats all, done, no more. And make sure you ask for the yearly fee back, and a lower apr :)

5. Saar

Saar Banned

If you want to upgrade, I recommend that you do it before you activate the card. That way, they won't charge the annual fee in the first place.

Saar

6. author_22

So what should I ask them to change the silver AA to? And should I bother applying for a second card?

Steph

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

if you plan to carry balance, platinum select (plain old) is the best apr card they have.

Thats my suggestion. If you want perks, then your APR is going to suck..

8. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

btw I preffer Dividend Platinum. And yes you can apply again for the Gold AA, they will put
    another inquire on your Equifax report.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WOULD SAY "NO INQUIRY IS NECESSARY"...if you can't trade cards with-out an inquiry...I don't need it that bad...(OTHER CARD)...

***I'M REALLY BEGINNING TO BELIVE THEY REALLY DO GET PAID TO "RUN" A CREDIT CHECK INQUIRY*** (it was originally one of my jokes)

You are NOT asking for a second account...you are asking for a "TRADE" to a DIFFERENT account...

10. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

to my knowledge there wasn't any inquiry pulled. ( I checked via worthknowing.com )

I was not instantly approved, I got the wait 7-10 day message. The limit I got approved for was $10.000 at 14.99 percent. No bt offer.

I called the number on the back of the card, I was able to upgrade the card to the Platinum select just by asking. This was done the moment I got the card in the mail.

I called again and ask them to put in a request for a balance transfer. I a bt offer within 7 days. 6.9apr for 6 months, no bt fees and a goto rate of prime + 4.9. I accepted.

I still was not happy with the goto rate and tried to speak to retention. Was stonewalled. I wrote a nice letter via PFB to citibank. Within a week a rep called and lowered my goto rate to prime + 2.9

All this was done within 2 weeks of getting my citi card.

11. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

I have citi platinum select and it is getting close to 2 years now..My limit is $2,500 it was originaly $2,000 they gave me a 500 increase last year. I hav tried to get a higher limit but i get denied all the time..I belive it is because there card and my discover card are within the credit limit..However this is becasue of the rates..Right now my Discover rate is 1.9% till January with $3000 limit.,My citi is at 8.40% fixed..They are my best card the one i use most cuz of the intrest...Just sux the limit is low i would give them the $3,000 i owe discover as well..And i have a next card with a line of $6,000 but i owe $0

12. Saar

Saar Banned

Bill B, to get a huge limit increase, apply for a 2nd Citi card and combine. Expect an increase of $5,000 - $10,000.

Not bad, huh? Just remember not to apply for any of the Platinum or World cards.

Saar

13. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Ok so apply for a platinum select again? Or just a regular card i am lost.

14. sam

sam Well-Known Member

apply for the citibank AAdvantage silver and gold (if you have two cards already, only do the gold).

You'll get one, and then convert/combine.

Tried and true way..

I had a platinum select with 4K limit, i now have a platinum select with 15K limit. Word..

15. Saar

Saar Banned

I believe I've answered that in the very post you quoted :)

Sam has also given you good advice. Good luck :)

Saar

16. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

there is a annual fee of $85 on the citi aadvatage gold card

17. Saar

Saar Banned

Which is why, upon approval, we've all transferred it to another card (unless you want the air mileage). Applying for the AA non-Platinum non-World products is preferred, since approval standards are more lenient there.

Saar

18. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Listen I really APPRECIATE the tip..

Thank you for choosing Citibank. You have been approved for a Citi® Gold AAdvantage® Card account with the following:

Initial Credit Line: $5,000.00
    Purchase APR: Prime Rate + 9.90% , currently 16.65%.

Now how would i transfer this to my citi select platinum that i have with the 8.40% fixed apr it also has no anual fee..Do i need to wait till i get card or what..I am excited because i think they are the best card yet..

19. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

I see the upgrade part but i dont have citi platinum select aadvantage i have the regular one..with no fees

20. sam

sam Well-Known Member

convert the AA gold to a platinum select dividend, wait about 2-3 days combine..

The AA gold cannot be directly combined. Trust me on this one.

Btw, if you just got the gold, go back and apply today for the AA silver, you'll get that one too, since the standards are the same, probably same limit too. Then you can do both.

btw, congrats on your FAT increase !! :)

p.s. you have to call to convert or combine..