Citi: what would you do?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ledo, Aug 27, 2001.

  1. ledo

    ledo Well-Known Member

    Hello all,
    First I just want to say thanks for all of the great advice and support - I got approved for an AAdvantage card last Wednesday.

    My dilema is this. I had initally applied in June, was turned down due to equifax report. Got and faxed updated equifax report with negative information gone. Figuring that the approval was imminent for I had jumped through the required hoops, I also applied for Citi AAdvantage. Was turned down for both cards. Apparently, someone opened and chargeoff'd an account in my name. Spoke to fraud and security and they mailed me an affidavit which I signed and returned (via mail and fax). No consistent responses from CSR. Discovered numerous hard inquiries on equifax. Wrote letter to Citi via planetfeedback. Spoke to someone in the Prez's office. Told me I was approve for one but not the other (want to see history of 6 months). we debated back and forth (a very friendly debate). I asked him if they could remove the extra inquiries he said no dice due to the need for fraud and CSR to review the account. He also advised that I leave a consumer statement re: the inquiries due to fraud. Not exactly sure what this would do-score wise. This is my first "I am slowly climbing outta hell" card. My questions to you is this:

    - should (and I do want to) upgrade to platinum select?

    - apply for another citi product? nervous about the additional inquiries.

    Thanks so much for your time and advice.
  2. leo728

    leo728 Well-Known Member

    upgrade and wait till everything settles down, i.e. get the cards in your hand and transfer you other cards to the new platinum card, before applying for anything else.

    That is what I would do.

  3. ledo

    ledo Well-Known Member

    thanks for the quick response. i only have one citi card (the one i was just approved for). the balances on my other two cards are small enough to be paid off at the end of this month - so bt don't really do much. would your advice still be the same?

    thanks again,
  4. leo728

    leo728 Well-Known Member

    I don't want to call it advise. But I would wait myself. Better one card in the hand than risk ticking citibank off and close your existing account ( don't know if that could happen)

    What would you guys say????
  5. lbrown59

    lbrown59 Well-Known Member

    Why should this jack up the price for borrowing and insurance?


Share This Page