Citiback or Associates?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by anon, Nov 16, 2000.

1. anon

anon Guest

Does anyone know about these two, good, bad? Which gives higher credit limits based on different CRA? Thanks

2. anon

anon Guest

RE: Citibank or Associates?

I meant Citibank

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I can tell you my experience. I applied to associates and Citibank around the same times. Citibank gave me a classic card w/ a $9K credit limit and a gold card with a $9K credit limit also. Associates gave me a big denial letter. Citibank overall have a better name than Associates. Also Chase gave me classic card for $2K. Depending on if you have bad credit you may consider that associates may turn you down. Citi and Chase have a reputation on this board for opening the door for us with past credit problems but are making a comeback.

roni,

4. anon

anon Guest

Thanks so much, I was trying to consider which cards to apply for based on CRA reports because have one perfect one, one OK one, & 1 not too great. Those two looked like my best bets. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

roni wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I can tell you my experience. I applied to associates and Citibank around the same times. Citibank gave me a classic card w/ a $9K credit limit and a gold card with a $9K credit limit also. Associates gave me a big denial letter. Citibank overall have a better name than Associates. Also Chase gave me classic card for $2K. Depending on if you have bad credit you may consider that associates may turn you down. Citi and Chase have a reputation on this board for opening the door for us with past credit problems but are making a comeback.

roni,

5. anon

anon Guest

Roni, RE: Citibank or Associat

Do you recommend applying for a specific Citi card?

6. pat

pat Guest

Citibank endorsement

I opened a Citibank account a long time ago. I missed the minimum due on the Citibank card and a card from another lender a few times in '95. The other lender charged off the account, and I battled with them for years.

Citibank dropped my interest rate from >20% to 8% when I participated in credit counseling. Their employees treated me politely at all times. Citibank got all of its money back at an interest rate they could live with. I paid off the account in July 00. Citibank granted me credit- an AA card with a $9K limit in Sept 00.
    I don't know if Citibank has the best rates, but they were very reasonable at a time when another lender was purely evil in its behavior.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Roni, RE: Citibank or Asso

I have the American Airlines Aadvantage card. But I would think your chances at getting the standard classic card as just as good. This is a much talked about card here. You can apply online at www.citi.com. But you need instructions on how to find this card if you are going to try for this specific one. They do online instant approvals also for the classic card. If you are interested in instructions respond.

roni.

8. anon

anon Guest

Is there much difference? If you think so, please advise as to how to apply. Thanks!

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Since American Airlines Advantage is the card that most of us got, I would apply for it. I find this method easiest to follow.

1) go to http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/cgi-bin/go.cgi

2) select either the AA Aadvantage Mastercard or the gold.

3) I would not recommend the platinum select or the world unless you have some strong credit. They have really good perks and I think you have to have good credit to get those two. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

roni..

10. anon

anon Guest

RE: Citibank endorsement

I can relate, thanks!

11. anon

anon Guest

i'll give it shot, thanks!

12. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Whether the plat. select or the Advantage card is better depends on what you want out of the card. The plat. select has a lower interest rate, no annual fee and comes with a balance transfer offer of 2.9 for nine months. This is a great card to save a ton of finance charges. If you want miles, get the AAdvantage but you will pay an annual fee ($50 for the gold) and you will pay higher interest. I use my AAdvantage card for everything and pay it off each month to accumulate miles. The plat. select is the card that I used to pay off balances. I am not charging on it until the transfers zero out.

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

It is $85 for the gold. $50 for the reg advantage.

roni

14. sam

sam Well-Known Member

btw, i talked to citi and they did not offer me the plat cause my limit was not high enough :(

they also said, they can make my silver into gold, but im like wait i have that. And then she said to go from SILVER to GOLD, your interest would go UP! .09% , you'd get a whole new credit card #, etc.

im like, screw that, why would i want two gold, she said, i dunno.

silly citi bank.. Guess i'll pay off my balances and wait for an increase.

no rush.

15. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Citibank endorsement

pay wrote:
    "Citibank granted me credit- an AA card with a $9K limit in Sept 00."

I used to think they base credit limit on wages...

Didn't you say you are a student?

Saar

16. Saar

Saar Banned

Could you share your current limits with the 2 Citi cards? I'd understand if you prefer not to, but it would provide useful information on their upgrade criteria.

Thanks.

Saar

17. pat

pat Guest

yes and no

I am employed full time & will earn $76K this year. I also completed the first year of a four year PART TIME JD program in fall 99-June 00, then decided to take a year off.
    A part time JD program typically has classes 3 nights a week and allows one to keep his full time job.

18. sam

sam Well-Known Member

$4k each :(

its plenty for me though i am happy.

19. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

RE: Saar

I plainly stated student on the application . they gave me 3500. !

20. Saar

Saar Banned

Weird. As MP$40 confirmed, they do upgrade $1000-limit (or above) accounts to Platinum Select.

Did they tell you anything else that may explain this? Perhaps you should call again and ask.

Saar