Citibank AA - an UGLY question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

OK here it is: Has anyone ever gotten a Citibank card after having either a BK or chargeoffs against a prior Citibank card?

I keep reading good things about Citibank (except whether they report your limits to the CRA's these days). Unfortunately for me I included a Citibank credit card in my BK 2 years ago. Since they had to write off $20K on the card, I think I am on their list of customers that they will never do business with again. if I am, I can't blame them.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Citibank AA - an UGLY ques

I think that everyone with a bk was declined for the citibank card Jim. I was collecting this info back in sept when everyone was applying (and blaming me for not getting the card). But anyway, I think both the bk and being on their charge off list would really hurt your chances. I think Chase turns down all bks also.

roni

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input.

I was new to the board in September and I remember the comments.

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: citi response

to my friend, no BK but a 9 year old charge off. They keep internal records of you.

5. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Jim,

I had a BK in 1992 which included 2 Citibank cards.

Just last March I applied for a Citibank *secured* card (sent in a check with my application), they denied me and sent the check back - reason: I included their cards in a prior BK. I also applied online back in September when everyone was getting approved, and once again they denied me, reason - Bankruptcy which included citi cards.

It seems their database indefinately holds data on customers who have outstanding balances with them.

I believe that the only way that you can ever get credit with Citi again, is to pay off any outstanding balance you might owe them.

I am currently paying back the $4300 I owe them (amount which was included in BK). Making payments!! I am doing this because I would like to have another Citibank card someday.

Citibank has a bankruptcy recovery unit. Let me know if you would like the number?

Although 20k is a big chunk of change to pay back :)

chet

6. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

RE: Approved after BK

Jim,

My Citibank acct was included in BK in 1988. I received a Universal Platinum card last August, then the Plat Select ($12,500) at the end of October. My balance was only $510, though.

7. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

Citibank keeps internal records for an interminably long time. A client of mine received a student Citibank Visa in 1987, credit limit $500. The account was not charged off, but it had a significant number of late pays. She paid it off and closed it in 1990. In 2000 she applies for another Citibank card. She is turned down because of previous "problematic account" with Citibank. Mind you, Chase, American Express and MBNA all opened accounts, but Citibank wouldn't.

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

curiouser and curiouser wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Citibank keeps internal records for an interminably long time. A client of mine received a student Citibank Visa in 1987, credit limit $500. The account was not charged off, but it had a significant number of late pays. She paid it off and closed it in 1990. In 2000 she applies for another Citibank card. She is turned down because of previous "problematic account" with Citibank. Mind you, Chase, American Express and MBNA all opened accounts, but Citibank wouldn't.

the law needs changed to where they can not hold info. forever!

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

It seems their database indefinately holds data on customers who have outstanding balances with them.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    This practice should be against the law:

10. Fred

Fred Guest

I you loaned someone $1,000 and they NEVER paid you back would you loan them money again???

11. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Did you read his post closely? Maybe you should. Your post was completely unnecessary Fred.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I had a couple of Citibank cards back in 1988 and it was charged off.Back about a year ago, applied for Citibank Platinium Select cards and I got aprroved. I also applied for Sony cards and got aprroved it. First of all your name must get off the backlist in order to get approve. It doesn't matter you get pre-approve from them and it still denied you. A couple of them I knew they used the blacklist to denied if you have charge-off accounts with them like Household, American Express,Citibank,Hurley State Bank,Mervyns. I am not sure Citibank USA (formerly Travelers Bank) will denied you and they issue Quicken and Netscape card. First of all you must have no charge-off and judgements against you and you must get all threee major credit reports to check any inaccuracies information.