CitiBank and Plat Select

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Sam, and Roni too, if you're there, can you help, please?

Yesterday, I called Citi and asked to convert my Gold AA card to the Plat Select.

The rep with whom I spoke was very nice but said that option wasn't available for this card. Instead, what she offered was the Gold World mastercard or the Plat World Mastercard. The interesting thing about these cards is that they didn't have a pre-set limit but the interest rate was higher. (Hmmmm.....That doesn't make much sense.)

Anyway, I don't want either of these cards! What I want is the Plat select! Do you think I'm really out of luck. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Donna

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Donna. You got a bad rep. I conversted my silver card last night, and I got my mom and dad to each convert their gold AA cards last night. But we each did the conversions the day we got our
    cards in the mail (yesterday).

The reps do try to persuade you from converting, but we all just pressed and said that we
    wanted to get balance transfer options with the Plat. Select and then the reps did it.

The Plat. Select is so much better. No AF and 16.9 for purchases down from 18.9 on the AA cards.

If you've had your card for a while, I don't know what Citi's policy is, but mayb Roni or Momof3
    would know about that.

BTW, I think your FICO score is fine. Don't despair and keep your head up. You're doing
    okay.

Marci

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Yah they are pulling your leg totally.

Switch to the platinum select if you are going to carry balances, by the way, after 4 months, i called up their retention folks and my platinum select is PRIME+2.9% now :)

Great company. Some of their ways are odd. Just keep trying.

If you can't get any where, they have a retention department. Those folks are VERY nice.

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks much, marci, for the advice, as well as the kind words.

As far as my score is concerned, I'm consoling myself with the fact that it was probably a lot lower a year ago and I still have a chance of getting some of the remaining negatives removed.

I've had my CitiBank card since October. Is it possible that I've had it too long and I won't be allowed to convert? As soon as I'm sure of the facts, as well as what I'm going to say, I will call back. Hopefully, this time I'll get a rep that's more flexible.

Donna

5. newhouse

newhouse Guest

Marci:CitiBank and Plat Select

In a previous post you stated you got your card yesterday....how many days was that since you applied?

Thanks!

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: Marci:CitiBank and Plat Se

I applied on the 5th, received a denial letter on the 10th, called back on the 12th, and was
    approved on the 13th. I received my card on the 19th.

My Plat. Select should get here by the 23rd.

Marci

7. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

ReThanks, Sam

Sam, I'll keep trying. The interest rate on my Gold has been lowered. I accomplished that shortly after receiving the card. Right now, it's at 12.8 or something like that. It's prime plus 2.something...I don't remember exactly...and I'm happy with that. If I can get switched to the Plat Select, I'd definitely want to keep that.

Thanks.

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re:

Sam, I hope you're still following this thread.

Well, I called Citi again and, this time, the rep promptly converted my account. As a result, however, there are two problems.

First, she said I wouldn't be receiving a new card. My account number is going to remain the same...and that's fine with me...but I won't get a Plat Select card.

Did you get a replacement card, Sam? If so, how long did it take and did you have to ask?

I'd really like a replacement card, one that will reflect the type of account I have.

Secondly, My interest rate went up to 15.9 and I'm not at all happy about that. Initially, the rep explained that I was able to get a lower interest rate because the card was sponsored by American Airlines and the lower interest rate off-set some of the fees.

Plat Select goes directly through Citi, according to the rep, and she couldn't get the computer to offer anything lower. BUMMER! So I gained; but, in the process, I also lost.

In about a month or so, the rep advised me to call back and see if better terms could be offered. Right now, the balance on my card is $115 and I plan to pay that off before the month is out. Then, if my interest rate isn't lowered, I'll stop using the card. I'll just keep it for emergencies.

Donna

9. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re:

That's odd, Donna. My account number will stay the same, but I was told
    that I would get a new card within 5 to 7 days.

10. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re:

hmmm.....Thanks, Marci, for the info. I'm not sure what to do. I hate to keep calling but I really want a card that shows Plat Select. Maybe I'll wait a few hours and call back.

Boy, I sure hope I can get that interest rate back down. It feels good to lose the $85 fee but I'm greedy - I still want the same interest rate I had previously.

Donna

11. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Re:

yes, They will send you another plastic for the Platinum Select.

12. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re:I will get a replacement ca

Okay, so I decided to call back to see if I could get a new card. This time, the rep seemed surprised that I would even ask and said that I would definitely be receiving a new card. So I'll just have to watch the mail and see what happens.

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. I appreciate the help.

Donna

13. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Gosh Donna some many calls to get this done you must be exhausted LOL. But congrats on the upgrade and after you get the card give a little time and get your rate reduced, like you just experienced some reps don't know what they are talking about:)

Mom

14. marci

marci Well-Known Member

:)

You'll be fine, Donna. When you get the new card, call back and ask about balance
    transfer offers. I think they advertise 2.9%, but some people have said they've
    gotten 6.9% for 6 months. BY then, you'll be able to negotiate back down to 12.9 permanent,
    or probably lower, b/c of the way Alan Greenspan keeps talking.

At any rate, I'll let you know what they tell me when I get my new card.

Marci

15. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Thanks Momof3 and Marci.

Mom, fortunately, when you call Citi, the wait to speak with a rep is never long so that was in my favor. I was kind of surprised that the info I was getting from some of the reps wasn't accurate.

Marci, Do you know if your account number is going to change? That's one thing this last rep I spoke with wasn't sure of but she did say I could continue to use the card I'm currently holding. With a bit of luck I'll be able to get my interest rate back down.

Donna

16. marci

marci Well-Known Member

No, the account number stays the same. I'm sure b/c I thought it would change, but she
    said no, I'd simply get a new card.

My dad's gold AA account number was to be the same with his conversion, too.

And, yes, you can use the card you have.

Marci

17. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

If you don't get a Platinum Select card in the next few weeks, call back and tell them your magnetic strip doesn't seem to be working anymore...

could you please get another card sent to you.

Bingo: Platinum Select card.

18. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestion, Marie

Marie,

That's a great idea and, if the Plat Select card doesn't come, you can bet I'll follow your suggestion.

Thanks.

Donna

19. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Excellent suggestion, Mari

I still have my AA citibnak card, it still works fine :) and my platinum select. These folks are on crack or something. The interest rate, you'll need to call retention. You should be able to get prime + 2.9% seems almost everyone else getst that rate with the card. Also there will be balances transfer offers if you ASK. Mininum of 6.9% at 6 months, no fees.
    (they can ever cut a check for you hehe)

20. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

ReThanks, Sam

I'm hoping I did the right thing by converting. I'm very happy about losing the annual fee and I'll be completely satisfied if I can get the interest rate restored. I won't use the card until I get what I want. If I had a lower interest rate once, there's no reason why I shouldn't have it again.

Donna