Citibank Baaaad Chase Good

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mark LA, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Mark LA

Mark LA Well-Known Member

ok - i like many others, received the dreaded citi change of terms notice - from prime plus 1.99% to prime plus 5.99%
    called retention - and they said - ya know Mark LA - you're like sooooo cool and such a celebrity - and like we really want to lower that for you - but we can't yet - cause it still shows up as prime plus 1.99%.
    So, they tell me to call after my statement closes in the middle of the month and they're going to lower it. will update if they do, in any case - citibank retention # is: 800-444-2568.

On a sweeter note: Coming to the end of my 0% for 12 months from Chase - called up about an extension - and - yup - they transfered 4K directly into my bank account at 0% for a year - this time - however - with a $35 bt fee - but it was still a sweet deal.

Aside from that - life sucks, getting older sucks, real estate in Los Angeles is crazy overpriced and the BEST BOOK in the world right now is Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right"

2. Poochie

Poochie Well-Known Member

So I take it you're no big fat idiot? ;-)

Poochie

3. Mark LA

hehhehe

(liked that one too - but this one - "Lies, and the Lying Liers..." is better. The guy's a riot :)

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SECOND OPINION

CHASE BAAAAD
    CITIBANK GOOOOOD

5. Poochie

Poochie Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Citibank Baaaad Chase Good

How about We're right, they're wrong by Carville, or Downsize This! by Mike Moore? Requred reading for any left wing agitator!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Is that book by a FAR LEFT LEANING RADICAL LIBERAL???

7. Mark LA

Re: Re: Citibank Baaaad Chase Good

Na GEORGE

he's just your regular run of the mill leftie moderate liberal - like me :)

8. blackie

blackie Well-Known Member

I second that:

CITIBANK = COOL AS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW
    CHASE = PURE BILE

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

CHASE is the one who DENIED me a second credit card account because of a FAKE 30 day late...

They confirmed that THEY WERE WRONG...but they REFUSED to reconsider my application with-out a "HARD" so I said forget it!!! They did a "HARD" anyway...

They REFUSED to BACK-OFF on the "JACKED" current account (16.24%) that was based on the same FAKE 30 day late...(SAID IT WAS TOO LATE)

I HAD NO CHOICE...I HAD TO GET RID OF THEM!!!

25+ YEARS OF PERFECT CREDIT AND "THEY" MAKE THAT ONE "FAKE" 30 DAY LATE INTO A FEDERAL CASE!!! "THEY" ACT AS IF I WAS 120+ LATE OWING $500,000!!!

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

They both repriced me, but Chase did it in an evil way and Citibank did it in a fairly harmless way.

Not sure where those two banks lie on the political spectrum...

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

the presidents office (PFB!) called me today. They were sorry to see that i did not use my citibank any more, and read my complaints:

results:
    back to prime+1.9%
    2.9% for life BT no fees good until 12/31/03

PFB works, i guess i am a valued customer. I might even use that 2.9% for life in november as i don't think i'm gonna get anything better than that (for life).

Prime+1.9% in citbank land = 5.9% which is not bad. i used to have lower, but it was still 5.9% due to the higher prime rate.

I will now begin to use my citibank as i have before.

My CL is $25K (max possible for my income) and my charges per year are about that, with alot of BT's before.

I guess it does pay to throw them the hook line n sinker (take all the balances away for several months).

The nice lady did indeed research my statements all the way back to the repricing to determine a fair rate.

She even gave me her # (which will remain private) if i need anything or wish personal attention on the balance transfer offer provided.

I have had faith in citibank all this time, i knew it would take some coaxing (pulling the chain) to show them that i am a profitable customer, and that profitable customers are what they want.

12. sam

sam Well-Known Member

lol.. the logic defies me sometimes..

Save with a low rate of 5.99% APR.

You have until Nov 21, 2003 to accept this offer. You will save with this low APR through Oct 1, 2004.

Terms & Conditions

Offer 2

Save with a low rate of 7.99% APR.

You have until Nov 21, 2003 to accept this offer. You will save with this low APR through Oct 1, 2004.

Terms & Conditions

Offer 3

Save with a low rate of 2.90% APR.

Enjoy this special low rate on your transferred balances until they are paid in full.

13. cherie

cherie Well-Known Member

LA Mark..

Thanks for posting this:

"On a sweeter note: Coming to the end of my 0% for 12 months from Chase - called up about an extension - and - yup - they transfered 4K directly into my bank account at 0% for a year - this time - however - with a $35 bt fee - but it was still a sweet deal."

Our 0% on Chase will be expiriing the end of September, I was already thinking about moving the 5,350 balance to BofA @ a 4% variable. I really hadn't thought about asking for an extention from Chase. Our CL is 12K.. How much did you owe when they extended your deal and for how long.. another year? Please reply.

Cherie

14. cherie

cherie Well-Known Member

Dear Mark.. Hope you have had a great weekend.. I wanted to share with you ( and those reading) how my inquiry with Chase went today.. Guess I am going back to BofA at the 4% variable.. their loss..

Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------
    Message: Dear Chase Bank, Soon I will be coming to the end of my xxx for a year with your credit card. A friend of mine (Mark in LA) suggested that I check with your services before I transfer my remaining balance. Mark said that he was able to extend his offer for another yearand also had some money deposited to his checking account.If something like this deal might be available for me I'd ike to know as soon as possible. I'd need the debt amount left with chase 5,500 to remain at a 0% and I'd alsoike 5,900 paid on my Discover account. My discover balance is also
    at 0% but will be expiring out the first of Nov. I will
    be looking forward to hearing from an account
    representative. Thank you, Mark A

THE RESPONSE

Hello Mark A

Thank you for your request for a lower rate. At the
    present time, there is no lower interest rate available on your account.

We are not able to extend the current offer and there is no balance transfer rate offer on your account.

However, accounts are periodically reviewed for
    promotional rate sales and we request you contact us in the future.

If you have any further questions, please contact us at:

http://creditcardsatchase.com/portal/index.jsp?pgTitle=pg_
    contactus

Thank you,

R. Goldstein
    E-Mail Customer Service Representative

15. Mark LA

sorry to hear about that cherie :(

my balance with chase was just a few hundred dollars when they gave me another 12 mos 0% bt deal.
    I had transferred about 3K when they gave me the first bt offer - but paid it off fairly quickly - way before the 12 mos were up.

I'm guessing that they're hoping that I'll use the card for purchases - while I have the bt on there - and this way they can profit from my ongoing apr - until the bt offer gets paid off...
    (not gonna happen :)

16. Mark LA

one more thing cherie-
    you may have better luck if you call chase retention - rather than e-mail.
    all my offers came from the R dept.
    The # is: 1-800-345-8089

17. cherie

cherie Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark.. I will have hubby call on Saturday.. actually the Chase account is in his name. I will post a follow up.. wish me luck. ~Cherie

18. Tony V.

Tony V. Well-Known Member

Citibank is jacking my Purchase rate from Prime + 5.99% to Prime + 8.99% ===12.99%

i will try retention also Mark La.

I have no idea why they would want to jack me, my balance is MUCH lower than it has been in months...i pay 1-2k each month also........good luck!

Tony V.
    San Diego, Ca

19. StarStuff

StarStuff Well-Known Member

Citibank is jacking everybody (or so they told me at AT&T Universal when I asked them why my 8.99% rate was going up 3%). They told me to expect the same on my Citibank card soon, and sure enough, it showed up in last week's mail.

I already declined to accept AT&T's rate hike and can continue to use the card until it expires (next spring) at the existing rate. Very low CL so no great loss, and need to ditch at least two cards anyway. Household is the other one I'm going to ditch.

Anyway, I have over $4,000 on 3.9% for life of BT at Citi and only about $800 on Citi at current 8.99%, and it doesn't expire until 2006. So I'm not sure yet what I should do -- tell them I won't accept the increase and gamble that they'll offer me a deal to re-up before the account closes in 2006, or pay 11.99% (or higher, if prime goes up and/or they do another increase within the next three years -- gee, what are the chances?) on the $800 while all my payments go to paying off the low-interest balance first?

What's the consensus?

20. Mark LA

okay - citibank retention results:
    statement closed - prime + 5.99% didn't show up, STILL PRIME + 1.99%, they can't change it - cuz it hasn't Changed yet - HOWEVER - as consolation -here's what retention offered:

â?¢ bt offer for 6 mos at 0% no trans fees - we can also send you a check to deposit into your account

â?¢ during the 6 mos - we will lower your purchase apr to 0%

â?¢ we'll give you another 1.5K cl increase (just received one of those a few weeks ago).

Works for me.
    CALL CITIBANK RETENTION :)