Citibank Blacklist

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, May 19, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Ok, I've posted this before w/little response. Will try again :)

Anyone owe Citibank and later either repay or just apply (without repaying) and have them "forget" you owed them money on an old acct?

I included 2 very small accounts in a bk. wondering how long their computer remembers. I could always repay the 1k total but I'm not sure if it'll make a difference really.

I did hear of one posted who got one 12 years later w/out repaying... but just looking for any other experiences. Thanks.

2. zcraws33

zcraws33 Well-Known Member

Marie,

I don't remember who I heard it from, but someone on this board, posted that Citibank will consider you for any account 7 years post bankruptcy. I don't know if that timeframe includes what you are referencing as far as past incl in bankruptcy accounts.
    But I will tell you...I am 6 years post bankruptcy, I also had two CITIBANK accounts incl in that bankruptcy. I recently applied with citibank, the letter stated I was declined due to the bankruptcy, I called them directly (new accounts) and they told me I was mainly declined because of my past accounts. I asked them if I paid the old accounts would I be considered for a card. The supervisor stated "maybe" and would not committ to anything more.
    I don't know if this helps you...just my two cents...

SUZYQ

3. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Marie,

I included 2 Citibank cards in a 92 BK. I applied for a secured card about a year ago and was denied because their internal records still show that I owe them a balance from the 2 cards, even though the information no longer appears on my credit reports.

I applied again online in around Sept. 2000 when everyone was getting Citibank cards, and they denied me again for the same reason as before.

I have no real idea how long this will appear on their internal records, so I am paying them back "slowly" the amount that I owed them from the BK. They did tell me that once I showed a $0 balance on their internal records, they see no reason why I can't get a card.

I have no idea at what point in time (or, if ever) they clear their old debts from their databases. Mine has been 9 years and still shows.

Chet

4. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Someone posted not too long ago about getting a Diners Club card even after some sort of incident with old Citibank accounts (BK, charge off, I forget). Something about DC being part of Citi but the two area don't "talk" to each other.

5. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Why would you want a citibank card Marie? Aren't there plenty of other creditors out there that are just as good if not better?

6. eddie

eddie Well-Known Member

In 1995 I Defaulted on a citibank mastercard. In 1998 I settled with them for about 55% of the balance. 3 months ago I discussed with them paying off the settled amount. They refused to accept any payment saying it was settled and that was the end of it. Recently I applied for an aadvantage card. They did not even pull my credit. I was turned down for prior bad accounts with them. I have however been approved for a Gateway Computer account through Hurley State Bank which they own. The nice thing about citi is they offer high credit limits to people with somewhat marginal credit that amex, chase, mbna etc wont touch. My wife had a 633 fico and showed 2 collections (1 paid 1 unpaid ) and four 30 day lates on a 5 year old auto loan. Citi gave her a 9000. cl.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Ender

Large credit limits, marginal credit. Enough said.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I got approved three Citibank cards from Citibank and I had a couple of charge-off accounts from Citibank back in 90. I think somehow my name was removed from internal blacklist. Recently I got approved for Diners Club.

Ron.

9. c5kirk

c5kirk Well-Known Member

Thats odd that you got approved for 3 citibank cards. I have the AAdvantage Gold & Silver, both with 9k limits. I applied online for the Platinum Select but received a letter stating that I already had the maximum # of cards allowed. Called them up and spoke to a rep who said that they only allow you to have 2 active accounts with them at a time. She then proceeded to approve me for a Plat Select card and cancel the Silver AAdvantage. If you don't mind saying, what 3 cards did they approve you for and were/are they all active at the same time? Thanks.

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Marie,

If you get brave and can stand an inquiry why don't you apply on-line and see what happens. If you get denied, you can always contact Citibank by telephone and see if you can negotiate a partial payment of the discharged account(s) in exchange for a new card.

Now having said this, I am sure that you are wondering why I said it. LOL

First, from your posts I know that you are a negotiator. Second the amount(s) discharged are small and you have only an inquiry at risk here. Third, I think Citibank is aggresively looking for business.

Also, Marie, I discharged $20,000 on a Citibank credit card in 1998. So I should be hopeless right. Well actually, I have been contacted a number of times by CitiFinancial and requested to respond to their local office aboout loans. I haven't done it because of the high dollar amount I discharged and my total revolving credit card limit is now over $23,000. If I were in your shoes, I would apply.

BTW congrats on the Cap One Platinum. As I recall you were going to combine a couple of cards to get the platinum. Did Mr. Miller help?

11. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Well... I had quite a few problems w/my Cap1 cards. And I mean serious ones (their fault). I actually got my new Visa increased to Platinum w/out combining. It was so good (and rare) that I didn't post it. Didn't want others calling in and complaining yadayadayada. I know they repulled my reports... but I'm perfect since the Bk so I have nothing to fear except rejection itself :)

I transferred all my balances to all my Cap1 cards (to show the newer much higher credit limits) and I zeroed out all other accounts (leaving the obligatory 50-100 balances on Prov cards so I can get my increases).

I've gone from 10K in avail credit 5 months ago to 22k this month. I have definitely figured out all the systems. I'm letting my accounts and inquiries sit for 2 months until this month's balances hit the reports. I am very amazed I had the guts to request what I did from Cap1. But it was fair. I am getting added to an Amex so that'll help the mix. I'm expecting a mid 600 score in 2 months. Then I'm going to get an installment or 2 and I'm aggressively going after the CRAs for the remaining derogs. I am guessing by Dec it'll all be fixed or I'll be done. Either way, I'm really just focusing on building existing credit.

So, I am thinking I really only want higher limit cards from now on. If I need to let it all age 6 mos or a year, I'm fine w/that. Unfortunately, all my Bk public records show (unlike you, you lucky dog)... so I am a bit slower on increasing my lines. My 2 highest lines are now Prov (at 5600 about to go to 6800) and now CAp 1 5K. I am going to use those to push the other credit lines... The goal is 30K avail and free of balances (5% or less total util) by Dec.

So... I am debating whether or not I want Citi... I do like their high credit limits for marginal credit. But they were the MOST aggressive about collections that I hesitate to ever enter into a relationship w/them. I really would like a Diners... but w/Amex, Visa, and MC... I'm not hurting. Anyway, that's the plan. Congrats by the way, on your recently acquired high credit lines!!! It's amazing how a 5K credit line makes you feel like you've never had credit bumps :)

12. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Marie,

Thanks for your wonderful post!. I won't ask anything more about Cap One. We BK'd and survived. Also, you and I went prime this year with the help of the board.

I plan to grow my $6500 Nextcard into a $10,000 card by December. My Cap One card has a zero balance as I transferred the money over to Nextcard. I took a look at the Diners Club web site again today. The $80 annual fee puts me off for now. But just maybe...

Good Luck

P.S. - If you do start a Citibank negotiation let us know what happens or as a last resort apply in 2008. LOL

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

When you apply for Diners I want to hear about it. I may actually just try for an AU on Diners. I just don't want to feel too credit dependent on the sig other.

I'm thinking at the 5 year mark we really will feel very little consequence on the FICO. You especially :)

I must admit, I am no longer too ashamed of my credit. I have a wallet full of cards that are all decent, some better than others but all serve their purpose in the overall score.

Depending on who Diners pulls, I think you have a shot at it. I doubt they share databases that much. And you have 2 very respectable files now. :)

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks again Marie,

Hey on another subject, have you noticed if your Nextcard and Target? card are reporting to all 3 CRA's?

15. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Hmmm. last one I got was in early May. Nextcard was there but Target not. Is your Target on there yet?

I vaguely remember reading a post ages ago about Target taking several months to start reporting. I want to say 3 months...

I am pulling reports again in 2 months. It should be on by then.

If I remember correctly, Nextcard reported March activity in May so there's a 2 month lag?? This is off the top of my tired head.

16. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Marie,

In April I got the GM card along with Nextcard and Target. GM card already shows on EX.

I am not too worried about Nextcard after reading your post.

Target is another matter. I think that i read somewhere here that they don't always report unless we get after them.

17. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Well, I'll call tomorrow. I have gotten my first bill only 2-3 weeks ago... so a lag time for that to report would be ok.

But if you think there might be an issue, I'd rather correct it now. I'll call and make sure. You may want to do the same.

18. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

A call is justified. I got the Target card April 1. I have already made 2 payments.

19. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Just went back and read some about Target.

Issues:

Do they report the limit or just high credit? Could be an issue. Of course, exercising our whopping limits is pretty easy. And w/300 or so, we can buy the whole store :) I'll try for the limit reporting.. but when we get increases does that mean it'll auto report or do we have to request it? Ugh. Guess I'll go shopping this weekend just to make sure.

ANd of course,

Do they report at all??? One post said they report every 3 months (but the post was mixing Target, Texaco, Associates so I'm not sure who they were talking about).

One post said they have a number you can push for an automatic line review. Every 4-6 mos was suggested for requests. Interesting.

I actually don't care about this limit but I would like the tradeline reported. I can fiddle w/the limit/high balance issue if I have to but I do want credit for this account on all my reports.

Well, goodnight. It's late here :) We can compare notes tomorrow.

20. Mookie

Mookie Member

Hurley State Bank

Hurley State Bank was an Associates owned business, and has not yet integrated with Citi's risk and reporting systems. As you probably know, Citi purchased Associates First Capital in September of last year.

Hurley issues a number of private label cards, in addition to Gateway.

Also, the Gateway Card is private-label, meaning higher risk appetite (and higher APRs).