Citibank CL increase request

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by the other, Jul 18, 2001.

1. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I just did an credit limit increase request over the phone with Citibank. It was very strange. They asked my for the name and phone number of the bank where I have my checking account, and wanted the checking account number. Same for savings account.

I don't feel comfortable that they asked me this. The rep. said it was something new that they've started doing.

Anybody else have this happen?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I can't get an account...BUT THAT SOUNDS WRONG!!!
    They can get more information than they should have access to...
    A credit report is more than they need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

George...why can't you get an

account with citibank. You're fico is waay up there. Not trying to be nosey....just curious.

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Other

I have never asked for increase on the telephone, I have always requested online and if you are not eligible for an automatic increase it will ask you what amout you want and for your banking info checking/savings accounts. However I only did this twice online, once for myself and for hubby and when they asked for bank info they denied us, but I have gotten 2 automatic increases online. I "think" maybe if you don't have an autmatic one waiting for you they need to review your account and file further.

I talked with Citi reps about this, normally they increase every 4-6 months, your balance must not be near the limit and they like to see higher payments way beyond the min, they told me if I keep my accounts like that I should have increases waiting for me.

Just curious, how long you have had the card, are you near the limit and do you pay more than min? Also with the instant increases they only ran an "AR" inquiry, but when I had to enter the bank info, they pulled a hard one.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: George...why can't you get an

TOO MANY ACCOUNTS
    TOO MUCH CREDIT
    NO INSTALLMENT LOAN EXCEPT MORTGAGE

BLACK BALLED?

6. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Re: Other

This account I have had for over 6 years. I have a little over half my limit used with a balance transfer. A few months ago, I called, and they said the balance could not exceed 65%, so I made sure I was below that. I'm about 58% right now. I have had plenty of large payments.

I have a second card that I opened in Jan. even though they wouldn't increase the limit on my old account. The limit was 4000, early today, they upped it to 6000. The odd thing is with the newer account, they asked me for my employer and income, etc, and sent the request on to the other department, but I wasn't asked then for the account numbers and bank names. But for the older account I was asked that.

It is very strange.

7. Tony V.

Tony V. Well-Known Member

just did the Automatic Online Increase w/citibank online just hit the icon and said " congradulations you are approved for an increase of $1500" click yes if you accept it...this is my first time and i got the citi plat sel..11/00 $5000...now $6500 (big deal)

it stated that NO credit report was pulled for this increase....im assuming that if arent eligible by the comp. you fill out all the bank, income, etc and they pull a hard inquiry....

Tony verregino
    san diego ca

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Asking for bank account #s is normal. Amex did it with me on a Corporate Card some years back.

It makes the bank more secure ... it gives them an identified asset to attach should they ever have to get a judgement against you.

SIlly - if you're broke and can't pay, it's unlikely you'll have money in the bank :)

-mj