Citibank denial excuse, boy th

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Oct 9, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well I thought I have heard them al but this one takes the cake. I applied for the Citibank card everyone was talking about for my hubby he got denied, their reason was they can't grant him credit because the amount of credit they would grant him combined with his other lines would excessively increase his debt burden WHAT he has 3 lines totaling 5600, his income is 50K,I swear they are pulling new excuses for denial from hat. What makes this confusing for me, I have a citibank platinum card 1K, when I applied for this I had 8K in credit lines and a 40K income, and got the card. Just doesn't add up with me?

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Excuse or Reason?

It could just be one of those random, "I've got 3 minutes to do 5 more applications" type of excuses.

As far as real reasons go, there could be a genuine issue here. Is his credit worse than yours? Maybe they have a tiered system of allowable debt-to-income ratios. I calculated both ratios at about 22%. But what if they require less than 20% for someone with damaged credit? This is not a definite answer, just speculation on my part.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Excuse or Reason?

I see your point, he has one negative on his, mine is clear, but he seemed to have much better history than those that applied and were approved. I just think they sometimes come up with these excuses as they go along

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Excuse or Reason?

I think so too. Wards listed "age of oldest account" as a reason even though my Citibank account had been open for over 6 years.

5. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

RE: Mom, join the club

That's they exact same reason that was given for my denial, which I can understand. But for your husband, I don't get that one. Considering the credit that my husband has, and the limit Citibank gave him. Like I said before, nothing surprises me anymore, when it come to creditors.

Momof3 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Well I thought I have heard them al but this one takes the cake. I applied for the Citibank card everyone was talking about for my hubby he got denied, their reason was they can't grant him credit because the amount of credit they would grant him combined with his other lines would excessively increase his debt burden WHAT he has 3 lines totaling 5600, his income is 50K,I swear they are pulling new excuses for denial from hat. What makes this confusing for me, I have a citibank platinum card 1K, when I applied for this I had 8K in credit lines and a 40K income, and got the card. Just doesn't add up with me?

6. ble103

ble103 Guest

RE: Mom, join the club

You can blame it on their strict underwriting.Alot of C.C.C.'s are tighting up on so called easy credit by making it much more harder to quailfy.They can't afford to take any big losses.I got the same reason from them back on august 9th.I am so responsible with credit it stinks!I got a total of $40,500.00 in credit card limits with my imcome of 30K.Some of you would say that i am legelly overextended right?So this would explain my declination from citibank.