citibank denial

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by joe, Jun 16, 2000.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I applied for the CitiBank card for college students about a week ago, and got a denial letter in the mail today. I'm distraught! They specifically said on the web site: "Build your credit history. No co-signer required." I just can't believe it. I have two VISA's right now and a car loan, totalling 6 months of credit history. I've always paid on time, and anything the least bit derogatory would be the inquiries. What do you think did me in?

2. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a credit card that doesn't show up on your credit report. I know unsecured cards don't,but I don't want one of them thanks in advance

3. JP

JP Guest

What kind of income do you have? This might be the key to your denial. 2 credit cards and a new car loan in a 6 month period might have did you in.

Regards,
    JP

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Actually, I have a great income for my age (36K total, including base, bonus, and mileage). So you think it was too many credit lines opened in a short time frame?

5. Darrell

Darrell Guest

Did your denial letter list any reasons? A lot of CC companies include 4 reasons for denial with their letter. My guess is that they said no because of your short credit history, the number of new accounts, the number of inquiries and perhaps even your balances.

It might be a good idea for you not to apply for credit anywhere for at least six months and maybe even for a year.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

See, it was a student card, henceforth, the length of credit history probably is a non-issue. I would ascertain that it was inquiries, number of new accounts, and balances (I charge alot on my cc's, but they're always paid in full each month).

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

did citibank give you a reason? if it was based on a credit report you might want to check with the credit reporting agency to make sure there are no errors on your report. you are entitled to a free copy of your report if you ask for it within 60 days after you are denied credit.

8. Citibank r

Citibank r Guest

youre right it probably is the inquiries because they did the same thing to me. They said I had too many inquiries in too short a period of time and I work for them.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yes, CitiBank used my TransUnion to derive a credit decision. I have seen a copy of my credit report several months ago, mainly to verify that my first tradelines were being reported(they were!) I guess I figured that a student card would be a piece of cake to get; oh well, I think I'm otherwise doing a great job to build my credit. Who knows, I might get a "pre-approved" card offer from CitiBank once some of these inquiries are a year old and I have a year on the books!

10. Diane Whit

Diane Whit Guest

When you apply for a credit card, a bandk
    such as citibank needs at least one years
    credit history before acceptance.

They are a highly rated bank with a highly
    rated card.