Citibank is confusing

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Newcomer, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Okay,

So I get the Citibank AAdvantage card and upgrade to the no preselect limit. Well, the no preselect limit is not a guarantee. It's based on whether or not you make large payments. So you may try to charge over your limit and get declined. Which is fine, because my $5000 credit line is large enough. I asked to upgrade to Platinum select because I want the balance transfer option. I was told that the Aadvantage gold card has an option, but Citibank doesn't give it to everyone right away. I call the credit approval department about an application I did for the Platinum select 2 months ago and was told I was declined because I opened several accounts in the last year. I have credit accounts that are over 4 years old and a student loan 8 years old. Apparently, there internal scoring system didn't like that either. I noticed that several people on this board who were credit challenged have multiple cards from Citi. How did you do it?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

get your AA cards, combine, convert to platinum select line.

Thats how.

I just told the guy i wanted the platinum select, no fee, and lower interest, and please expedite a balance transfer option and mail the checks for such.

they had no problems.

3. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

By the way you don't need to upgrade for a balance transfer, just ask by phone or e-mail
    and tell them that you want to transfer a balance. They will make an offer for you.

I was able to transfer at 2.9% for 9 months for my Gold AAdvantage Card.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

He's right. Citi did the same thing to me. They have some internal scoring system that rules against some of us. I have no chargeoffs, my negative stuff is 6 yrs old, my score fluctuates betw 650-590, and Diti wouldn't give me the platinum. Some of the folks on this board with chargeoffs, bk's, collections, you name it, have gotten platinum from Citi. They're crazy.

I have the AA card, tried to upgrade, was told to apply.

breeze

5. Saar

Saar Banned

How many reps have told you this? If it was only one, chances are he lied and most other reps would do it in a second, no questions asked (other than: "Where should we mail your new card?").

2 reps have told me I can upgrade, and that was even before I gave them my account number.

Saar

6. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Breeze, I have my aa card just under 30 days and I upgraded to plat select today with no problems.

mindy

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Saar, I have talked to Citi reps about this on 3 occasions. In every case, the rep was rude beyond belief.

Do they have different service centers for different parts of the country? Do you have a number or a name I can use? I am so ticked I don't ever want to talk to those people again. If I do, you can bet I'll have one of those little telephone recording pick-up devices stuck on my phone, record their snotty comments, and play it back for someone. In VA only one person has to consent to the recording ;)

breeze