Citibank - Mission accomplished

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

Spoke w/ a nice rep today about my 2 new cards (silver AAdvantage & Gold AAdvantage).

1. First she combined the 2 cards to one Gold AAdvantage, combined limit is $11,500.

2. She then converted the card to the Citibank Platinum Select, and told me she'll send the new card tomorrow.

3. I'll soon start working on the APR (didn't want to push it, she's already done quite a lot for one phone call).

4. Now if they try to pull anything (like jacking up the APR), I'll have to introduce my new card to my new deep freezer.

Saar

2. Saar

Saar Banned

BTW, what did you guys say was the lowest APR for Citi, 11.9% ?

Saar

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Congrats, Saar. Glad everything is working out.

Dani

4. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

My Citi plat APR is still Prime plus 1.95%
    I wonder if staff reductions equate to declining quality of overall customer services.Time will tell.Quoted from CnnFn today:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Revenue at Citigroup grew 8 percent to $20.3 billion. The company saw improved results from its CitiFinancial lending unit, North American credit card business, private bank and emerging market operations.

Net income, which includes the impact of a change in accounting practices as well a severance charge for staff reductions, increased to $3.4 billion, or 69 cents a share, from $3.3 billion, or 65 cents a share, a year earlier.

VJ

5. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Saar,
    Were both your cards of the same type (i.e. Visa or Mastercards)?

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Thanks!

Yup, all MC.

Can anybody else share their Citi Platinum Select APR?

Saar

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

my last statement reflected 8.9% (prime + 0.9%) Keep calling them every 2 months or so. I guess in a while i should ask for prime rate. :)

8. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Mine is 12.99 after the 9 month 0% teaser rate. What can I do to get this down?

9. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Mine is 13.9; the 2.9 promo expires end of this month. Called Sunday and tried for a reduction - no go. Will try again next month :)

10. dave

dave Well-Known Member

11.9 fixed

11. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

I also have 11.9 fixed..

12. Saar

Saar Banned

I'm impressed! That IS low. I remember yours was 11.4% - was it further reduced only due to the prime factor?

Spoke today w/ a wonderful Citi rep. Here's what she said:

1. My current APR is 14.9%, but as a result of prime changes, will adjust to 14.4% at the end of the billing cycle.

2. She once worked for Retention (yes!), & she knows what to do to manipulate the computer. She told me she starts the account closing process, and then the retention software tells her whether a lower rate is available.

3. There is no better rate available right now, and it usually happens w/ accounts that haven't shown any activity (mine was opened yesterday, upon conversion). Once my account is active for a couple of months, she's confident a lower rate would be available for me.

4. I'll post an update soon. Thanks for everyone's advice!

Saar

13. Tony V.

Tony V. Well-Known Member

have the citi plat sel.$5000 CL since 11/00 ,apr at 14.99% called three times today and tryed to get it lowered, could only get it down to 14.90%....what a joke my chase is the same, and they wonder why i wont run a balance....

14. sam

sam Well-Known Member

my fico score was ~~575 during this whole procedure. My Average monthly charges were 2400-3400 per month. I typically paid 2000-3000 per month, every month, and had an $800 balance.

The exact words I spoke both times to get prime+0.9% (from 16.9%!)

To Customer Service:
    "Hello I would like to speak to the retention department, regarding my account. I am considering "transferring-out" my balance to a lower APR credit card, and closing the account. I would like to see if there is anything they can do for me?"

Say that with the exact words, don't change a single thing...

then get back to us..

15. Saar

Saar Banned

I have no doubt it works, but you've had SOME history w/ them at the time you requested it. I'm a fresh new cardmember - haven't even got my card yet :)

You didn't say - to get the excellent Prime+0.9% rate: Was this all done in one APR cut, or did you get several reductions?

Saar

16. sam

sam Well-Known Member

two reductions, spaced 2 months apart.