Citibank - more APR info

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

Just had a talk w/ a very nice CS rep, right after she took my BT request.

My current purchase APR on the Platinum Select is P+2.9%. Given Sam's APR, I know it can go 2% lower.

She said "R" might have power to lower mine further, but there's no way CS can do it. She made me admit that given the recent prime cuts, a P+2.9% is a superb rate.

Once I admitted it, I was in no position to ask for "R". Was caught off guard and had to back off :)

Regrettably, given the prime rate's recent sinking, I believe even "R" would be reluctant than ever to grant the P+0.9% rate.

Saar

2. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

What is "R" ??

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RETENTION DEPARTMENT

4. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

O Ok thanx..I never had to talk to them i guess unless those are the people they connect you to when you close a account and they ask why and if we give you a apr break would you reconsider...I sent Providian a PFB and they called tonight they cant go any lower than 16.90% on there gold card and cant upgrade all done by the mail so said..

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Some companies understand it is better to keep a CUSTOMER HAPPY by reducing the interest rate or increasing the credit limit or dropping the annual fee...instead of finding a new customer.

I SAID SOME...some people have called credit card companies telling them they were thinking about closing the account because the interest rate is too high...
    "IT'S CLOSED"~~~CLICK...DIAL TONE...

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Which is why Citibank is the biggest credit card issuer in the United States.

Saar

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

My story to get the prime+0.9 was to call and specifically tell the lady... (Balance $2000)
    "Hi i'd like to speak with someone regarding my account. I have recently obtained a new credit card with better terms, and I am considering "TRANSFERRING OUT" my balances and closing this product. However if there is something you can do to make my product more competitive, that would be great..."

Back to back two months in a row.

Now, jest you not, my payments for the first 4 months were like $3800, $2800, $2000, $1000 when i called. This was the first month i left a balance on my card, and did so with such intentions. As we all know credit card companies that aren't making a dime off interest, will kiss your arse to get that money..

YMMV as always..