Citibank: Nervous Now

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JacquiG, Oct 30, 2000.

1. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

OK, maybe I'm worried over nothing, but someone please confirm/deny this:

I filed BK in Dec '88. Citibank was one of my creditors, but I don't remember how much I owed at the time. Fast forward to Aug 2000>>>I apply for and receive a Platinum Universal card at $5K. Turns out they're part of Citibank.

Last night I was approved for the Citibank Plat Select online at $5K, but can go higher if I transfer a balance. So I do, and my *new* limit is $12,500. Get the confirmation screen and everything.

Now that I've had time to think, I go back and start re-reading some of the Citibank posts. Someone said that if you burn Citi once, you can't get another card from them. Called customer svc to see if they had my app, and she asked if I lived in Illinois. That's where I lived when I had my original account, so they still have me on file. She didn't have any info yet, since I just did the application yesterday.

Do you think they will reverse the approval? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Thanks...

2. pat

pat Guest

I wouldn't worry about it. I have heard of creditors shutting off people's credit cards even though the consumer paid his card on time every month. The situation was that he had a delinquency with another creditor, and Citibank checks it's customers credit every 6 or 12 months. So, one never knows.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hmm, so I take it you don't live in Illinois anymore?? Did they say why they wanted to know where you had lived?? I know with most online approvals they say something about subject to verification. Did you already receive your AT&T card?

4. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

RE: Citibank: Question,,,

When You said they Increase Your credit limit if you have a balance transfer . Did it state that in the Approval Letter ?? Or did you call and Asked about it . And what Kind of Balance Transfer Rate Did they Offer >? ? Please Let use know the Detials thankx...

5. JacquiG

No, I moved to the Atlanta area in 1989. She didn't really ask where I lived; she asked me to verify my address after she pulled up my account by SSN. The only ones they had were my pre-BK account and my Universal card. That's where the address part came in.

The application was all on-line. It came back and said I had been approved for $5K, and there were two radio buttons - one said something like 'I want to transfer a balance (could get an increased line)' and the other 'No, not at this time'. So I went ahead for the transfer. The next screen said Initial line $5K, underneath it said 'Increased line $12,500' (may vary, depending on amt transferred). I put in all the info, and when I clicked 'Finish', the next screen said 'Congratulations, you have been approved for a Platinum card with a limit of $12,500. You'll get your card and welcome kit in two weeks...etc.'

This wasn't even 24 hours ago, and I'm already anxious. Oh yeah, I got my AT&T card in August.

6. JacquiG

RE: Citibank: Question,,,

Hey,

The increased line offer was during the application process, after I'd already been approved for the $5K. See my answer to Mom above. My transfer rate is 2.9% for 9 months, then goes to 16.4. My Universal card, which is still Citibank, has 2.9 for 9 months, then 14.49. I guess my score has changed since I applied for that one.

Both of these cards will only be used for balance transfers, at least until the terms expire, so I can be sure I'm ONLY paying 2.9.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

jacqui,
    You said you were approved last night right. I know for a fact, that it takes 48 hours minimal for your new account and application to appear on their records. You have to call the credit department to find out that information at the 301 # I posted awhile back. Take a deep breath and relax. It is not that bad. Since you bk and included them they cant attach that debt on your card. If you got instant approval on line you are indeed set. To make yourself feel better tomorrow morning you can call as your 48hr period would have passed and get the good new direct. and of course Good Luck!

8. JacquiG

>>Take a deep breath and relax. It is not >>that bad.

Thanks Roni,
    I had to laugh when I read that, I get my drama from my 7-year-old. Believe it or not, I already got the 301# from your earlier post :) and called them - they told me to wait a few days!

Unfortunately though, I applied around 10:00 last night. I can't call until Wednesday (boo hoo).

Thanks for the shoulder and kind words. I'll let you know the minute I get the card!

BTW, how did you become the Citibank Queen? Maybe I missed that story?

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well, one long and lonely night about 1.5 months ago, I was packing my boxes awaiting my move to Pennsylvania. In the middle of all that work, I logged on to the Citibank site. They kept sending me preapproved offers in the mail for a platinum select card. I said Yeah, Right. With my credit? No way. Ok so I passed. Well I got another offer just that week and it stayed in the back of my mind. I said to myself, I aint dumb enough to apply for a platinum card, so I searched the sight for the classic card since my luck with Chase was good. I got a chase card for $2K that month also. Well, I applied online that night for the advantage card, since it is their equivalent to a classic card, and waited for the denial or usual, "you will hear from us in 7-10 days". Well, they snatched my neck off and these large brown eyes of my literally bulged out the sockets when I saw the APPROVED FOR $9,000 CREDIT LIMIT. I think I blanked out for a few seconds. Really. I knew that was wrong, couldnot be. I immediately went to Creditnet and shared my find. The rest is history. B4 that I was the princess of subprime. Now I proudly pull my Gold citibank from my wallet. If that makes me shallow. I accept that characteristic. Gold is new to me. And I love it. That is the whole story. I dont know if you really wanted it all. But I gave it to you.