Citibank

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by upset, Mar 21, 2001.

1. upset

upset Guest

I posted yesterday about my ordeal with citibank. They sent me a letter stating that they needed a copy of my telephone bill for verification of address/telephone number and a copy of a paystub in order to verify employment. I did send the information, but am confused about something. How would they have trouble verifying the information when I have lived at the same address for 6 1/2 years and been employed with the same company for just shy of 8 years?

Anyone had this experience?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Have you seen your credit report lately? Many times your "actual" list of addresses will look quite a bit different, than what you think. Experian had 24 addresses listed for me, of which 3 were accurate. I think they are doing their job to prevent fraud. They also will use "411" to check your phone number. If for some reason they don't get your phone # for your name, they will ask for the bill.

Perhaps just a bug in their software :) I'd rather be safe than sorry. Our interest rates are high not only because some people default, but because of rampant fraud in the industry!

3. upset

upset Guest

I pulled all three bureaus and the only address that they have for me is the one that I listed on the application. The telephone number could have been a problem because my number is unlisted. Do you think that would have prompted them to ask for address verification as well.

The rep said that pending receipt of the documents and provided that they are ok, my application would be approved. He said that if the documents were not ok, they would request originals. Why wouldn't they be ok?

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Dunno. My gf had to fax the phone bill in, cause its in my name , they were happy, approved, thank you :)

Theres no reason they will not be okay :) dont worry, you got the card.

5. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

I had to do the same with Am/Ex - fax them my phone bill and another utility because they could not verify my information (my number is unlisted). I inquired with Am/Ex about this, and they said that because my phone is unlisted, they needed the information. I was approved after they received my fax.

6. R1 credit

R1 credit Guest

Most credit card issuer now will call the client when application is received. They do this "address verification". In fact, they are calling to make sure an application was not submitted by someone else as a fraud and that they can send it to you at the right address.

They didn't do that a few years ago but they all do that now.

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Do you think perhaps that on every X application they get, they perform some sort of verification on where you have to send in utility bill, phone bill, paystub, etc??? They obviously can't do this for everyone that applies....or can they? Kinda like out here in CA, the DMV verifies the insurance information on every X application just to keep people honest. Just a thought....

8. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Nope, no verification call here--call approved online

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have NEVER been called by ANY bank to verify anything ever, since 1978...but I was declind by CITIBANK...

:(

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Seven years ago, Citibank called to verify the phone number and address for my first-ever credit card. It was a student card, so maybe they had a rule for student cards even back in 1993.

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Upset

This is citibanks policy. Take it or leave it. When I was approved for the citibank card in Sept. I had recently moved and my phone number was not listed. They wanted me to sent in a phone bill etc. for verification. I simply called the phone co. and had my number listed in less than 24 hours and then had it unlisted again the next day. I called citibank after talking with operator who said it would be listed in a few hours and the citibank rep approved me over the phone after checking directory assistance. Citibank did not do this for the classic card but for the Gold card. It was the unlisted phone that prompted the verification. If you want the card, why not comply? Dont take it as an insult from Citi. Good Luck!

roni

12. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Re: Upset

My phone is/has always been unlisted. They have never tried to verify--but I also have another account with them, I'm sure that's a factor.