Clarification-"Collection Activity"

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CaliGirl, Aug 15, 2002.

1. CaliGirl

CaliGirl Well-Known Member

I disputed an old item as not being mine and requested validation from the CA via fax on 7/29/02. I have checked all of my reports and the CA did not put the item in dispute.

What they did do is turn around and take the item, which has been showing as an open account - past due since 1998 - and on 8/11/02 update it with the CRA as a "collection account."

Is this considered continued "collection activity" in regards to a disputed item? I have not received validation of the debt as of yet (and don't expect to) but I want this dispute handled correctly as per the law.

Are they in violation for changing the status from Open to Collection?

2. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

From my understanding, reporting to a CRA (regardless of their notations they may add) is considered collection activity. They are in violation of continuing collection activity without providing validation first.

Regarding the open/collection status, I think that they are just being spiteful.

3. CaliGirl

CaliGirl Well-Known Member

Well, I assume that I should allow them the complete 30 days to validate this debt, so I don't intend on doing anything yet. But I do want to keep track of their violations as they happen.

The most annoying thing about this debt is it is being reported as being opened in Nov 98 but having been reported to the CRA's (all 3) since Feb 97???

But it seems that no one, other than me, sees that as odd and impossible. EQ, EX and TU don't really seem to be phased by that when I disputed in June, and it was verified with the same dates. When I asked the reps at the "Big 3" how could it possibly be accurate - they just sort of stumble over their words.