Clik Citi AAdvantage card approval

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MikeB, May 3, 2001.

1. MikeB

MikeB Banned

I was approved for the Clik Citi AAdvantage card today. It only has a $1000.00 limit, but with 6-12 months of good payment history, hopefully I can move up to a better deal. I am at least getting closer to getting out of subprime hell!

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Congrats Mike!! I got that one - it's a nice card. Pretty too!

breeze

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Here's how to get higher limits w/ Citi

So you're not happy w/ the credit limit. But you may be in luck: I've found this useful message, posted by a Citibank Rep:

==================================
    "if the credit limit is not enough for you call 1-800-950-5114 after you get your card and specifically give the representative these instructions:

1. Please refer my account to youre Credit risk department so that i will get an answer within 5-7 business days. (I dont know exactly why but more people get approved this way)
    2. tell them your thinking about closing the account if it can't be raised. (citibank is testing a way to empower its representatives so that they can give you as many services as possible. DO NOT SAY YOU WANT TO CLOSE IT RIGHT AWAY. if you say youre just thinking about closing it the representative will try there best to do whatever you want them to offer you any other benefits they think you would like based on youre conversation with them."
    Source: http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=976
    ===================================

And if that doesn't work, check Jo's story regarding her Citi CC:

"They wouldn't increase it for about four months. At the same time, BofA was raising my limit substantially (I won't mention #s because I don't want to get braggy..LOL) so I called to cancel. The line was instantly bumped to $5500. Three months later, I said that it was inadequate (and it was...by comparison anyway) and threatened to cancel again. Line was then raised to $14K. At that point, my income was great, my credit was doing better (I never had damaged credit, but I was a late "bloomer", if you will, not getting my first card till 22). When my BofA line was higher than Citi, I called and told them I'd cancel my BofA card if they'd match that credit line. They did...I never did cancel BofA though...just had the line lowered. At any rate, here's a quick overview:

Started @ $1K
    4 months later- increased to $5.5K
    3 months from that point- increased to $14K
    2 months from then- line rasied to over $25K (not mentioning amounts...:0D)

So basically in about 9-10 months, the line was increased almost 30 fold...but they did pull CRs for each increase"
    Source: http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=13365

Enjoy, and let us know if it worked for you!

Saar

4. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Re: Here's how to get higher limits w/ Citi

Mike,
    great start!
    Congratulations!
    AnnMarie

5. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Re: Is this a subprime credit card?

What should your score be in order to get approved?

6. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

I am not sure exactly but I too got the $1000 limit and they pulled trans union, my worst report. My scores on my two better reports are mid 600s. I would guess my Trans Union is about 650 best case and 600 worst case.

I would classify them as moderately sub-prime because I am sure others have been turned down. Good luck to ya.

7. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Thanks Saar. In 4 months, I will call them for an increase.

My Experian was around 650 when I applied. I wouldn't call it subprime. Maybe somewhere inbetween at worst.

Thanks again

8. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks for the info guys.

;o)

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Congradulations, I'm glad you can get out of suprome world.
    In two years ago, they approved Click Citi with the credit limit of $3000. By the way you can only use in the mail order and the internet mail orrder not purchasing in store. May be someday you can get the Diners Club. Take care.

Ron.

10. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

The Click Citi card has one other use. Lets say you want to buy a TV, you go to the store put a $100.00 deposit down and then call in the click citi card # to them on the phone and its taken by them just like the normal card.

vj

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

actually there's a trick, you can convert the clik to a normal credit card , they will send you a normal mastercard in a couple of weeks, you then convert back to the clik product, and you'll have a real credit card usable in stores and a clik product.

All the cards have the same #'s on them!

12. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Clik Citi AAdvantage card appro

Then why not applying for the "normal" card in the first place? Any real added benefits to the "click" version?

Saar

13. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Thanks VJ, I may try that :)

The Clik is an online only line of credit. When I applied online, I did not see the regular Citi Mastercard application, so I only applied for the Clik to get my foot in the door. After I found the link for the regular Mastercard, I faxed a letter with my verification information requesting the regular card instead, but they only approved me for the Clik card. I plan to make a purchase and pay it off in a few months and then ask to upgrade to the regular card or just add it. The Clik was intended by Citi to be an extra line of credit in addition to the regular AAdvantage Mastercard. Thanks all.

14. sam

sam Well-Known Member

my gf did the same thing, she called up after getting it (and not being able to go to the mall! heh) and had it switched to the citibank platinum select card, received the card in 7 days.

She has both. They are the same number. Just doesn't have the benefits of CLIK..

I still have my AAdvantage mastercard, after i switched to platinum select, i received the same card # and expiration, different look.

no biggie to do! they love to switch products for you.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Sam,
    I don't neeed clickciti and convert to normal credit card. After I was getting clickciti card, I was applying for Sony Citi Platinium Select card and I got approved. I used for retail purchase and Click Citi Platinium Select is used for newspaper subscription, internet mail order and phone mail order.

Ron.

16. My2kGT

My2kGT Well-Known Member

I had applied for clik citi and didn't realize it, but then I called them today after reading this thread and got coverted to a "normal" AAdvantage card. But I should have asked for a platnium select. Cause of the no annual fee. But I think I will wait six months and then apply for it and combine the two to a Platnium select..

My2kGT