Closed 4 Accounts Today

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Apr 3, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

To improve my great FICO, I followed Momof3's plan to reduce number of credit accounts. Thanks Mom!

I closed and returned the plastic to:

BP Oil
    Exxon
    Mervyns
    Radio Shack

Now have left:

Amex Green
    FCNB V/MC unsecured
    Providian Visa unsecured
    United Travel Card
    Target
    Spiegel.

Sounds like the perfect mix to me for better prime offers soon. Even the Amex GOLD :)

It felt great returning those accounts - but they had all reported perfect - even B4 and during the Chap 13!
    Most stay on record until 2003.

c ya Dogman

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey :)

Hey Dogman!

I checked my magic crystal credit ball (also spoke w/ the credit gods) and I see Am/Ex Gold sometime THIS YEAR! Stick with it. Your credit looks great now.

I have had my Fidelity brokerage account for 2 months now. They didn't pull a credit report and just the other day, I got up the nerve to request the Fidelity *fake* Am/Ex gold card. We'll see what happens.

Be sure to get a Yahoo ID so that you can chat with us. Since there has been problems with imposters entering the Creditmania chat site under others names, etc. some of us have decided to use Yahoo Messenger for chat. You have to be invited to the room so....I think I'll post a message regarding this.

I snapped Am/Ex $2800 last month! :p and you?

3. the other

the other Well-Known Member

MP$40

Good luck with the Fidelity Amex gold card.

They turned my down.

Hope you have better results!

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Dog

I think you did the smart thing, you definetly didn't need all those retail account.

I am sure it help you and you will be "blue" before you know it:)

Mom

5. Cadillac408

Re: MP$40

Did they say why they turned you down? Currently I have 3 Am/Ex cards already (AU on Gold, secured Optima, and Corporate)...oh 4 if you count the Cobaltcard! HA!

Did they pull a CR? If so, who?

6. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I'll have to get back to you after I go home and check my records... sorry :)

7. Cadillac408

How were you notified? Via email? Letter? Phone? How long did it take for them to contact you after you applied?

8. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

MP,

You can call 800-528-4800, there is an option to check the status of an application. If you applied thru the Fidelity site, it will probably be able to tell you whether it was accepted/declined within days. Good luck.

9. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hey Dog!!

Go for the gold guy.

Don't the 4 closed accounts stay on the CRA reports until 2011 (Ten years)?

I don't know if you noticed but I got a Target card this week with a $500 limit 2 years after my Chap 7 BK. Don't get me wrong, I am not bragging - especially about a Target card LOL. But weren't you one of a number of people who had trouble with Target in the past?

Thanks for your help over the past 6 months.

10. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Hey Dog!!

Dogman, you're the best :)

If I were you I'd close another one from the last 3 on your list. That's because if you ever use Amex Sign & Travel on your charge card, it would register as another revolving tradeline.

Saar

11. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Hail, to the Emperor! Dogman, you're my idol! :)
    I have six accounts now too. I think I will keep them open until I receive an AmEx card. Then one will have to go. More than likely one of my CapOne cards.
    BTW, you are on a fantastic voyage to that Gold and or Blue. You will have it in no time. AmEx loves you! Not only do you spend a lot of money on their card, but you are a volunteer customer advocate! lol

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Jim- I got my Target card B4 the Chap 13. I kept it because it has reported for 70+ months R1.

congrats - they are not a simple card to get.
    c ya dogman

13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Spiegel was the newest at $1400.
    Target for $1000 as described above - long history - active
    United $2000 reported for nearly 80+ months R1 - active

I COULD dump Spiegel and not miss it.
    Saar - maybe I will. I'll keep you posted.
    cya dogman

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

thx buddy - but no Centurion invitation yet :)

15. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

$1700 in first two weeks, then $800 second two weeks :)

whatz the deal on yahoo chat?