Closed account-now duplicates

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Keltex, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Keltex

Keltex Guest

I recently closed several old department store accounts that I no longer used, or had been closed by credit grantor, yet remained open on my reports. I did manage to get several of the old closed by credit grantors that remained open changed to "closed at consumers request".

One creditor, Dillards, closed the account, but in doing so, entered another account on all 3 reports. Looks like they just added 3 or 4 account numbers, then the original account number. This new entry reflects that the account was closed, but has none of the late entries of the older one that is still on my report. Looks like the old account hasn't been updated since 1996 or 7.

How best to dispute these? Duplicates? Old account not mine? Thanks in advance.

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: Closed account-now duplica

I am methodical about disputes. If I were you, I'd call Dillards w/the old account number and ask if you could get any info on it (you don't owe them anymore, right?) I want to make sure you're not going to awaken a sleeping dog.

Then, if they say no, have them check using your ssn. If they ask why, tell them you're just verifying a closing date or some nonsense.

If they can find NO evidence of your old, bad account... then I'd dispute w/the CRAs. not mine.

I wouldn't point out the duplicate b/c what's happened to me in the past on duplicates (one good one bad) is the CRAs purposefully decide to be mean, they delete the good one and leave the bad one.

And since there's a duplicate: I'd be especially careful that the 3 Stooges don't "accidentally" verify the good one. Copy the info off the bad account EXACTLY and then also copy your report and highlight the bad account. Hopefully that'll point them in the direction of the right account.

3. Keltex

Keltex Guest

Re: Closed account-now duplica

Thanks Marie! I was afraid of something like that-that they would take the bad info and put it new account. Looks like the Dillards.

I'll call Dillards and see what they have before I do anything.