Closed Crap1 Today! :-)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone and closed my Capital One Silver card w/ $200 limit!

The rep offered to lower my apr to 15%, possibly refund my annual fee in 2 months. I said no thanks. Then she was like, let me review your account further. Then she offered to raise my limit to $300! I told her that I have 4 other cards w/ the lowest limit being $1200, why would I want to be bothered with Cap1? She was like Oh......your right.....go ahead a cut your card up, etc. Whatever.....

GOOD BYE CAPITAL ONE!

Believe me......aint no love lost!

<cutting up card as we speak>

I still have my Providian Gold and Mastercard. I will pay those off over the next 3 months and let those cards idle for a while. To the sock drawer they go!

That leaves my 2 Citibank cards (I combined the silver and gold AAdvantage cards to gold). I would combine my classic and gold AA and upgrade to Platinum but I'm afraid of how it will report. My classic card is my oldest account (since 1992) and I noticed on my gold AA card, it says member since 01. I think I'll keep those separate for now.

Now.....only if I could get an Am/Ex charge card. Then I will be satisfied. My goal is to get one by the end of the year.

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Make them send you a letter verifying that the account is closed. So many of them won't close the card from a verbal request by phone. Make them also report it to all three CB's that it was "closed by consumer"

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

actually i just complained to cap 1 for reporting an account closed by credit grantor request..

better watch for it. I closed my $700 limit card today.

they couldn't offer me squat.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

If you called to close it, after the account has a zero balance, for 30 days it will close. If it is real close to you statemnt closing date and you have a monthly fee, they will bill the fee.

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Increase to $300? What a joke! I don't blame you for closing the account.

Cap One's paternalistic, "we know you can't handle credit yet" approach looks silly once you have other cards. Make them come back to you in a couple of years with a real, grown-up offer--preferably for a Platinum Visa. Otherwise, you don't need them.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Good for you, you have Citi who the hell needs crap one LOL. I remember when you got that little card, boy have you come a long way:)

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Capital one requires 2 billing cycles before the account is closed