Closed FNBofM today

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kelly, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Well,

Since closing First Premier Made me feel so good a few months ago, I closed this account today!

They didn't offer me jack. The CSR was going to transfer me to a different dept to close account. BUT that dept. was closed for the day. hehehehe

Now, they charged me 4.95 to pay off my balance. but I feel it was worth it. I did a pay by phone.

Hopefully, I won't have to fight for my security deposit back. Since it looks like I'm going to have to fight First Premier.

One more down, two more to go!

Kelly

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Way to go! Kelly! Two down already; that's great!

When February rolls around, I'll be saying so long to 1st Premier and I can't wait. I'd do it now but I want to make it to the one-year mark. But my fingers are itching to dial the phone.

Donna

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I have bad news.....WARNING.

I closed my FCNB account on October 26. I still have not received my security deposit. They said it would take 45 days. So with the holidays I waited. On December 26th. I called them. Get this, they never processed my refund. You need to call them tomorrow to make sure they put that through for you. Good Luck...

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Good for you Kelly. Some banks don't seem to care . I recently closed my fidelity, decent rate but no increase after a year of perfect payment history, when I called to close they asked why of course and I stated I had several other accounts with much higher limits, their repsonse was OKEY DOKEY we will close your account LOL.

Mom

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I got a list ready to cancel.

1- First premier......adios in March.

2- Orchard ........out of here..in May

3- Combining Citibanks - May

4- Combining Capital one accounts - March

That plan will leave me just

1. Chase- $2,000

2. Citibank- $18,000

3. Providian - $2,800

4. Capital one - $2,500

I got is all figured out.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

oops......

sorry, I read it wrong. I was talking out FCNB. But I did close FNBM in 4/00. They sent my deposit bank no problem in 30 days.

roni

7. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Thanks Donna,

I'm itchin to close Household. It's at the one year mark. I'm not sure what the annual fee will be. Probably $59. My c/l is only $300. I know I won't want to hold on to them for another year. But I've also been told that you should wait a few months between closing accounts.

I have a zero balance on this one. and It's not secured so I don't have to worry about a refund.

What do you think? Go ahead and close it. Or eat the annual fee (that's really hard to digest) and close in a few months.

8. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

RE: oops......

Sweet

Thanks for the update

9. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I'm just happy it's closed. I wouldn't have accepted any offers they'd be willing to give anyway. I really hate cards without online access.

Kelly

10. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

You are sooooo organized!

Sounds like an awesome plan.

How long do you have to wait b4 combining capital one accounts?

Kelly

11. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Kelly,

I'd be mighty tempted to save the annual fee and cancel Household. From what I've heard, you won't be losing anything and you'll have more money in your checking account. If the fee is $40 or $50, I'd definitely get rid of the card. They certainly haven't been very gracious with their credit limit.

However you decide, good luck.

Donna

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan

Yes my plan is simple as well:

Close Associates when it hits 2 year mark in July 01.

Close Penney's as soon as possible

Combine Citibanks by June 01

That will leave me with:

Aria Plat 5k
    Citi Plat 1K ( strange I know)
    Citi Gold 11k
    Sear 250 WHoppee, but I hear having retail helps the mix.

13. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: GOOD PLAN, RONI

You've got it all figured out. I like the way you're thinking ahead.

We can celebrate together over 1st Premier. I'll get rid of them in March and you'll bid farewell to them in May.

I need to do what you've done -- Sit down, look at my cards, decide what to keep and get rid of the rest. I'd really like to cancel my Cap One clasic because the credit limit is still pretty low, only $1500. But since this is my oldest card...four years...I'm reluctant to do that. So I'll keep plugging away and assess my credit situation again in six months.

Donna

14. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: Sounds like a plan

Mom, your plan sounds good, too.

I went ahead and combined my CitiBank cards and I'm glad I did. It's nice knowing I have a card with an $18000 limit.

Like you, I have Sears, but the limit is low...just $250, I think.

Also, I have an acount with J C Penney and I'll probably hang on to it for a while. Penneys has been pretty good to me. They deleted some late pays from my credit reports. I'll always apreciate them for that.

Now I'm just hoping my Chase card comes through and I'll have to make a decision regarding my Cap One classic. Since the Cap gold has a good limit, I'll probably keep that.

Donna

15. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Donna

When did you combine your Citibank accounts, was it fairly recent to when you got both accounts??

mom

16. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

RE: Donna

Mom,

I got both of my CitiBank cards in October and I combined them in November. I canceled the silver and the rep added the credit limit to the gold. Also, the interest rate was lowered.

Combining my cards was no problem at all. You needn't worry.

17. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Donna

18. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Me too. I HATE cards that don't have on-line access. That was one of the factors on why I'm getting rid of Washington Mutual secured.