Cobalt Card-Finally a response

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rick, Feb 22, 2001.

1. rick

rick Well-Known Member

I finally got another email from Colbalt Card. This time, instead of: You'll hear from us in two weeks (which I've gotten twice within 8 weeks), I got a message asking me to provide a copy of my phone bill, AND copy of social security card, AND a recent bank statement or utility bill. They don't seem to be very trusting! Has anyone else received this ?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Cobalt Card-Finally a resp

This is for a "PRE-PAID" AMERICAN EXPRESS card???

It is like a WAL*MART/SAM'S gift card??? You pre-load it, $5.00-$1,000.00 (RE-LOADABLE ANYTIME).

THEY MUST NOT TRUST YOU, I GUESS.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I dont why you guys are still chasing this cobalt card. I thought that topic was DEAD.

roni

GEORGE wrote:
    -------------------------------
    This is for a "PRE-PAID" AMERICAN EXPRESS card???

It is like a WAL*MART/SAM'S gift card??? You pre-load it, $5.00-$1,000.00 (RE-LOADABLE ANYTIME).

THEY MUST NOT TRUST YOU, I GUESS.

4. Killer

Killer Guest

I received the same response and decided it wasn't worth it. I didn't send them anything. Then 2 weeks a later I get an e-mail stating that my application was approved.

5. rick

rick Well-Known Member

I agree Killer

Thanks Killer, I don't think I should have to provide all that info for a crappy pre-paid card. I think I'll just not respond. My BK falls off next month anyway...so (hopefully) I will be getting better pre-approvals than what I get now--mainly Providian, Aspire, etc.

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

RE: I agree Killer

In the Maryland area you can purchase prepaid cards with the American Express Logo at 7-11 stores. They can be reloaded as needed, but there is a fee for reloading.

I considered something similar, but as I have a Visa Debit card I just didn't see the purpose.

7. Carrot

Carrot Guest

That is odd, considering it's not even a real credit card! I received my card two days ago with no problem.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: I agree Killer

If I wanted to waste my time (and I wanted the card) I would apply by sending them my NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND ZIP CODE WITH A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER and a note saying
    that since this card is BARELY one step up from a WAL*MART/SAM'S PRE-PAID GIFT CARD, they need NO more information.

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: same verification bs.

Not worth it. Its a toy amex. I shouldn't have to go through a rigourous credit check when i can plop down cash and get a amex gift card (which is essentially the same card).

those folks are crazy.

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Why do I have this card again?

Oh yeah....

I got it mainly for my kid so he can go to the store w/it, etc. but the main reason is this: I have an Am/Ex charge card but there is no cash access to it. I got the cobalt card just in case I ever need emergancy cash. Since Cobalt takes Visa, MC, Am/Ex or a checking account to load funds on to it, I can use my Am/Ex charge to load funds onto Cobalt and then use my pin at an ATM to get cash. Yeah it may take a day or 2 for funds to show up on the card but that's fine. It beats paying highway robbery fees for cash advances! I'm sure you could do this in other methods but this seems to work for me so. But of course this is only for emergencies!

Plus I had to fill the empty space in my wallet from getting rid of my Washington Mutual secured card!

11. B

B Guest

RE: Why do I have this card ag

I got it so I could get White Glove Treatment at Disney World by charging my vacation on it.

12. Killer

Killer Guest

MP,

I never thought of that! Load Cobalt with my credit card and then use Cobalt to get cash! That is very smart. You avoid cash advance fees from credit card! Well I didn't respond to Cobalt request for verification;however, the sent the card anyway! I was going to call and cancel but I guess I will keep it! Thanks!

13. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

MP$40 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    It beats paying highway robbery fees for cash advances!

Cash advance fees should not be allowed .How are they going to collect the insterest if they don't furnish the product?

14. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey, that's on them!

All I know is that the Cobalt Card came w/ a pin that was mailed separately. I called the 800 number to have the pin changed (like having the same pin for all my cards, makes it easy). You can use the card to get cash at any ATM that accepts Am/Ex. The only fee you pay is the $1.50 (or whatever) that the machine is charging. I tested it by loading funds from my Providian card to it. On my Providian statement, it said "Cobalt Card" and was treated like a normal purchase.

15. Killer

Killer Guest

RE: Hey, that's on them!

MP,

I love this board! I learn extremely useful information! Now I have reason to have this Cobalt! Providian is my highest limit but the APR for cash advances is RAPE! But now I know how to avoid! I LUV IT!