Cobalt Card Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike2, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried using the Cobalt Card for either renting a car or getting a hotel room? I'm going on a work trip next month which I am extending out some for a little vacation. I'm stuck with a $500 Direct Merchant's Bank line and a $200 line from Cap One. $700 just is not enough space to take care of everything. I'd like to load up $1000 or so on the Cobalt and use it for my hotel or car as well as other expenses, and keep my $700 on the other two as a buffer for emergency or (gasp) impulse purchases. Any insight is appreciated.

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I don't know about hotels but most car rental places will not accept a debit card. I consider the Cobalt card the same as a debit card.

Best regards,
    Sam

3. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

I believe it would best to check to see if rental places will accept American Express. I seem to recall, but am not sure, that Hertz and Avis only accepts Visa/Mastercard. I do not think they accept Discover. This may be true for other rental places, as well.

4. FooBar

FooBar Member

I would be astounded to learn of a car rental chain which didn't take Amex. I know I've rented from Avis with one...

5. tony123

tony123 Well-Known Member

as per the cobalt rep i spoke to a while back, she state "it is up to the car rental agency descretion"

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I've used a debit card for a rental car before...though it was a local company in Denver, not a large chain. Shop around.

7. PuuOoPaul

PuuOoPaul Well-Known Member

I use my bank debit card w/the visa logo to rent from Alamo. They said as long as it had the logo it was accepted. You may want to try them: 1-800-GOALAMO.

Good luck,
    PuuOoPaul

8. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

In any case, the Cobalt Card does not register as a debit card. It's presented and accepted as a regular American Express Card. HOWEVER, this caveat should be well-heeded from the Cobaltcard.com web site:

Moral of the story... The hotel or car rental place may try to place a hold on more than the amount of funds you have available, so be careful. :)

Randy

9. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

I hope that PRICE isn't an issue while you are traveling? If so... then you are screwed unless you go to the car rental's website and find out what they acknowledge for percentage discounts (AAA, etc)! My husband travels 95% of the time due to work. So.. I am talking from experience here!!

When it comes to major car rental services such as Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, Enterprise, and etc. The only Major Car rental service that will except ANY debt is Budget (they are Expensive compared to the others).

Your best solution is to get a secured card. Go with Hertz and save the most money. Especially if you book on the website. If going for business travel? Ask they company if they have any corporate discount you can use. Just don't forget to request they fill your gas up on return it saves about $15-45. (they hope you don't ask for this so they can refill your gas and charge you triple the amount b/c you didn't opt in for this option)

I hope this helps

MartysGirl

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Felice - NOPE! INCORRECT!

Hi Felice, all car rental agencies take all of the cards.
    AMEX pioneered no extra rental protection 35 yrs ago. Of course American Express is accepted worldwide.

DISCOVER is only in the US - and useless if you ever leave the US!

Cobalt could be used - but they will put a hold on a certain amount depending on length of rental - etc.

That is where the true AMEX Green Card proves itself!

There is ONE AGENCY that still will take a debit check visa for rental. BUDGET - all the other rental agencies turn them away. AND BUDGET will hold your checking account funds for the deposit.

c ya dogman

11. MartysGirl

Dogman YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND

Dogman...

Where have you ever used a debt card @ at a major car rental sercive? I would like to know this????? My husband has been through hell and high water b/c rental companies (except budget)aren't allowed to take debt!

12. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Dogman is right

if you think creatively. One reason I started getting credit cards again (after I had sworn them off for good) is because I was almost stuck in San Francisco unable to rent a car.

I had a debit card with tons of money in the bank. Not one rental car company in San Fran (I started calling over the phone so they wouldn't recognize my face at the counter).

Ok, no debit cards if they see them.

SO, over the phone, from the airport, I called National and joined their Emerald Isle club. I used my debit card as my credit card. They asked if it was a credit card. I lied, they took it.

I got a reservation. I ate lunch, and held my breath as I went to National.

The emerald Isle was cool! I was already checked in (they want it all to be speedy) and I got to pick a car out of the isle. They gave me paperwork to sign as I left.

I almost cried. I got a new SUV for a 26 a day weekend rate and they were great. I now use them almost exclusively (and yes, I have a real credit card on the club now).

The deal w/the rental car clubs is that they have your card on file so likely you won't have to show it. Now I can't guarantee this will work, but it did work for me using my debit card.

If you think you might be traveling a lot get a FCNB secured card. The terms are reasonable and you can get a good limit by buying it yourself.

Good luck.

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Still waiting for email

Update: There is no update..still don't have the email cobaltcard said would arrive within 48 hours about 63 hours ago.

Blahhh!

14. MartysGirl

Dogman isn't right!

Marie you got lucky! If she has to walk up to the counter and get a car.. SHE will be in trouble!!

Hertz has the same club as National where you can add you credit card there as well. My husband has this set up so he can go to the quick service pick up his keys sign a slip and be on his merry little way. But... if Felicia wants to feel secure and know for sure there would not be a problem ... adding her debt to a clubs would not be the answer.

Felicia if push comes to shove. You can let them swipe one of the existing CC you have now (they do not charge the card until you return the card). Then at return let them swipe your debt card. But I would call and ask first (talk to the manager you will getting the car). My husband just told me that some major car rentals allow this.

Felicia, my husband said if you decide to reserve a car online. He has coupons or promotion codes you can use to same some money.

Good Luck

MartysGirl

15. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Price or actual money is not an issue. I travel a lot, and max out my $700 line every other week and pay it back off again. This trip will be a little unusual however in that I plan to stay four days over and though I usually spend around $600 for an average trip (company takes care of all airfare), I expect to spend maybe $1500 on this one, plan on going fishing in Key West. I think I'll load 2K on the Cobalt, clear my other two cards, and hope for the best. Thanks much for all your responses.

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I USED DISCOVERCARD AT AVIS...

I think CAR RENTAL AGENCIES are like airlines...THEY TAKE ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS...But COBALT may be a special case...

On PFB there was somebody that had a pre-paid VISA/MC and had $200.00 but was denied when it came time to pay at the restaurant...I THINK THE BILL WAS LIKE $90.00 AND THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT ASSUME YOU WOULD NOT LEAVE A $111.00 TIP...MAKING IT DENIED BY $1.00!!!

17. brad

brad Well-Known Member

George,that happened to me.I took a couple clients out to dinner and the tab came to 400 dollars.and I had 4000 limit left and the son of a guns declined my card because they must of thought I was going to tip more than 3600 dollars.LOL, STORYTELLER.

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

You made a big mistake...TELL THEM UP FRONT...that you usually only tip $3,000 on a $400 meal !!!

:)