Cobalt Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tessmcgill, Jul 7, 2001.

1. tessmcgill

tessmcgill Well-Known Member

Also, what are the requirements for a Cobalt Card from American Express. Are there related credit requirements?

2. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

From what I gather, you must have a verifiable name, address, and Social Security Number that all match up in a subset of a CRA database that AmEx rents. (Note that their mini-lookup does NOT put either a hard or a soft inquiry on your CRA report.) In other words, if you have a 300 FICO (if that's possible, lol), you'll still qualify. If you are breathing and alive and have ten dollars to fund their card, they'll press one out for you in a pretty cobalt color.

Randy

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

That's right. No credit ceck, just verify who you are. :D

breeze

4. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Hi!

I'm new to the board- will post my details later.

Just an FYI on Amex cards...up until at least last year they had a flat denial policy on any applications with a BK within 5 years of app. I don't know if this has changed or doesn't apply to the Cobalt card, but it was their policy.

This is a great board!!!

Shawn

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Doesn't have anything to do with this card. This card is prefunded debit card. They just make sure it's really you. I have not heard of anyone being turned down for Cobalt card.

breeze

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Even if it is a "PAY UP-FRONT card...I think you COULD be denied, if your BK included AMEX....

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

You're probably right about that. They have long memories and keep you ssn in their database if you don't pay them.

breeze

8. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

how far back does AMEX computers go?

20 30 40 OR indefinite?

Talking about holding a grudge.

Cyprigirl:)

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IT GOES BACK TO THE FIRST DAY YOU APPLIED!!!!!!!

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND...take me...I was supposed to be "PRE-APPROVED" for the AMEX CASH BACK CARD...but was denied...

1 year AMEX GOLD
    1.5 years AMEX BLUE

THEY HATE ME!!!

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AMEX
    ALWAYS PAID ON TIME
    NEVER LATE
    NEVER OVER-LIMIT

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think they can go back much past the 1980's - that's when computers were really starting to be used for keeping track of this stuff.

Before that, there was only paper files- hard to keep track of everyone with paper files, ;)

I remember working in a S & L in 1973, that was just putting their data on computer - with mag cards, LOL.

We had the printed data cards in a great big file box so we could look people's info up when the computer was down - which was most of the time.

breeze

12. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

Last year AMEX rep told me that they go back 9 years on bankruptcy on applications. Within that time denial to app. Hope five is correct but that is what I was told.

13. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

They track you even when you have applied?

Wow!

So do you think you could denied if you have applied several times and they denied you all those times?

Cyprigirl:)

14. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

I had an Amex green card since 1983 with an excellent payment history. In 1991 I purchased a PC through one of their offers. Somehow the billing got screwed up and they were trying to bill me for 2 computers instead of one.

I wasn't able to resolve this matter until the fall of 1992 and that required me writing to the CEO of Amex (pre Planet Feedback). By then my account had been closed by Amex. Although they finally acknowledged in writing that the entire episode was caused by their mistake I was told my account couldn't be reinstated due to my BK-7 filing earlier in the year. Basically I was told it was their policy not to issue cards to people with BK's on their credit history even though I had an excellent payment history with them and my filing did not result in a loss to Amex.

I've considered writing to them and asking if they would reinstate the account now but I think I'll wait till my BK-7 fall off my credit reports in another 9 months.

Manny

15. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I had American Express (regular green) from 1984 until 1992, when I voluntarily closed the account because I was tired of their annual fee. Thinking I might be able to reinstate it since my payment record with them was flawless, I telephoned them. Basically they told me that once an account has been closed for one year, the former member must reapply all over again. Needless to say, since my account had been closed for almost ten years, there wasn't much of an appeal.

Randy

16. MiamiBlues

MiamiBlues Well-Known Member

Randy,

Thanks for the heads up!

Manny