cobalt card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by far gone, Aug 23, 2001.

1. far gone

far gone Well-Known Member

do I need to have good credit to get a cobalt card? Can anyone tell me how it works and what are the qualifications.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

It is an UP-SCALE "GIFT CARD".

You pre-load it with a check or by credit card charge, then you use it like any other AMEX card...

3. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

George is right. I got one and I have a few charge offs, 1 auto repo, and some medical bill collections. You don't need good credit. They don't even check a credit report. The card is pretty kool looking though.
    Candi

4. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

What is the Cobalt card used for...everything? How does that work?

5. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

It is basically a debit card. You put money on it from a checking account or credit card and then you can use the coblat card. You can use it for anything. Some places give a discount to AmEx purchases, I think you could get it if you pay with the cobalt card.
    Candi

6. chelechele

Does this card do anything good for you credit wise?

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Breeze was saying that the best part of this card is that you can move money to many different sources (for free) and load it from your CC (for free). She said they post that they charge for those money moving transactions to/from CC but they had not been charging her and she didn't know if they were really going to ever start charging for them. Basically you could use it for cash advances at the % rate of purchases and like that.

Anyone know if the Cobalt Card is charging the fees they post on their website for transferring money from a CC to load the Cobalt card?

-Peace, Dave

8. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Chele, no it does not report as a credit card...some think it may put you in "good graces" with Amex in the future, but no proof there yet.

9. chelechele

That would be soooo nice "good graces" drooling....

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I transferred $400 Cobalt charged me $1.00. I didn't mind. ;) Made a big payment on my Citibank card, got an increase without an inquiry. :D

It works. :D

Chele, that's a secret though. :X
    Nave cannot keep secrets.

breeze

11. chelechele

Hmmm will have to look into that one....

12. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

I've been using my Cobalt Card to make purchases online. As an example, I found a place that had really inexpensive computer cables, and while I trust their business, I don't trust their site security. They WEREN'T using a secure site to transact. So out came the Cobalt Card. The balance is so small on that card (I tend to fund it $50 or $100 at a time) that I feel REALLY safe using it for piddly online purchases where I wouldn't really want to risk my real credit cards.

Randy

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

"That one" is what's soooooo cool about the Cobalt card. You roll along making your payments as usual. Then you see you are coming up on a 6 month interval on one of your cards. You get a little extra cash and make a whopping big payment - their computer is impressed, you get your increase. Costs you $1 for the Cobalt fee, and ATM fees for withdrawing the cash. Small price to pay.

breeze

14. Saar

Saar Banned

Breeze,

So you haven't tried the free Travelers Cheques feature yet? We've had very little feedback about it.

Saar

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Not yet, Saar, but getting ready to.....LOL got a 6 month interval coming up one another card. ;)

breeze

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Actually, it's a $500 min??? Maybe I'll use it to transfer some, since I done run my Yahoo all the way up.

breeze <speaking southern, y'all>

17. Saar

Saar Banned

Can you pronounce the "dub-ye" in George dub-ye Bush ? :)

Saar