Cobalt Contact?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dlo64, Jul 22, 2001.

1. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

It seems Nana and I are having the same problem trying to get a Cobalt card. The message stated that Cobalt was "unable to confirm" the application.

The message states we should receive an e-mail within 48 hours of the application. Nana should have received hers on Friday and to my knowledge still has not received her e-mail. I applied on Thursday and should have received mine yesterday, but still no e-mail.

I cannot find a contact phone number or e-mail address for Cobalt. Does anyone have it? I seem to remember that Breeze may have it. If Cobalt needs proof of new address or whatever, I would like to get this moving rather than sit here waiting for them to send this e-mail.

I have a debit card tied to one of my checking accounts, but prefer to have this card that is not tied to any bank account. I like the idea that I can re-fund the account whenever I need and it seems less riskier than a debit card tied directly to your bank account.

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

1-888-814-9097 24/7

Will be anxious to hear what you get told! :)

3. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Okay, this is what I have found out so far.

First I was told that everything was probably okay and that I should just wait for the e-mail. The person on the other end told me I was speaking to AMEX and that they only handle the funding issues of the Cobalt card.

Not being satisfied with this, I said there must be some way to expedite this process because it has been almost 72 hours since I applied and I still have not received the 48 hour e-mail.

The rep told me that they would start an inquiry and put me on hold. When she came back rather than initiate an inquiry, she gave me another phone number to the "applications team," I think. The number is 888-353-5884. I will try to call them after I post and see what if anything they can tell me.

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok...thanks..I'm waiting!

5. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Just called the other number. It appears it is not 24/7. I received the option to leave a message, so with no other choices, that is what I did. If I do not receive an answer to my message, I will just keep calling (yes, I will be a pest).

When I left my message, I just indicated that I applied for this card on Thursday, that my app could not be confirmed, that I still did not receive the 48 hour e-mail, my name and home phone number. I do not feel comfortable leaving any identifying info on someones voice mail so I will see if I get a call back.

Nana, let me know if you find out anything on your end.

Thanks.

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute.
    I will log into my Cobalt Card account and see if there is another number.

breeze

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Will do. Thanks for your work on this! :)

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Nah - it's the same number that's on the card.

breeze

9. IncomeHelp

IncomeHelp Well-Known Member

After reading about this I checked their website out. Looks good. I figured what the heck, try it since there is no credit inquiry. If its good maybe a tool to help educate my children in a few years.

I applied, it said wait for something like 177 seconds, then 80, 40, 33... will I be approved or while I get problems like others... oh what to do...

Then a page starts to load. It is going slow. I look at the url OH NO!!!! In the url I see something like decline.asp something like that. MAN, WHY I ask myself. Still no page is loaded yet. I wait, wait, it is loading graphics or something. Oh well I figure. BUT THEN...

Funding page, approved just setup funding etc. Did that. Would not take a checking account at this time but promised no charges for credit/debit cards yet. Funded with $100 and poof, they said plastic card in 10 days and gave me the account number and exp date.

So, I think address changes as stated in earlier messages are a problem that takes time to deal with. I will get a card for my son as a tool in his education, next year or so. Right now he is learning about checking accounts. (Age 14)

John

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hi John,

Yes it is a great tool for lots of things. As far as your kid's education, there is also the Visa Buxx card - same thing as the Cobalt, except this one is issued by Visa, and Capital One has an actual credit card for teenagers that parents sign for and control.

My brother got his two teenaged kids the Capital One Credit card for teens so they can learn how it works and actually experience it for themselves - interest being added, the importance of paying on time, etc. LOL he has a "lien" on their allowances if they screw up.

breeze

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok..I'm really depressed now! LOL

Just kidding..glad it worked for you.

12. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Some people have all the luck!

I should have just put my former address which happens to be across the street. In fact I still have the key for the mailbox because the post office is still screwing up my mail delivery (with the apartment complex's knowledge, of course and no one has rented our old apartment yet).

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Me, too...George could have picked up my mail! LOL

14. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity....Why do you guys want a Cobalt card? It doesn't report to CRA's, so I really don't see the benefit (if you have another card that is).

I could see the benefit if someone has no CC what so ever, but we all seem to have at least one card.

Shawn

15. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I don't have a debit card for my checking..and I'd like to use this in that way.

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It's a secret, SS. Is your email turned on? I will whisper it to you ;)

breeze

17. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

SS, go to your profile, and turn on email option. :)

If we keep posting our secrets the CCC's will change things.

breeze

18. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

DOH!

Didn't realize I was 'hiding' from you guys....

My email pref is now on.

Thanks!!

Shawn

19. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Huh?

20. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Hi John,

You may want to have a look at Capital One's teenager VISA. It's the real deal and I signed my youngest son (age 16) to start getting him used to managing credit. My hope is (no pun intended) that he'll be so used to dealing with charging and paying off and budgeting and balance accounts and saving and credit limit increases and APR's, etc. that by the time he hits college in 2 years, the Cc's won't be able to impress him with their siren songs!!!

(I hate reading those horror stories of kids who graduate with $20k in credit card debt!!!)