Cobaltcard Discontinued

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by PsychDoc, Oct 29, 2001.

1. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

The announcement was just made. As of November 19, 2001, the CobaltCard will be discontinued. You can no longer fund the card. Refunds of any available balances will be sent to members in mid-December.

That is really too bad. Not only was the card cool-looking, it was great to be able to use American Express while it lasted.

Doc

2. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

Damn!!!!
    Any other cards out there that can be used in a similar way.

3. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

It became so addictive in the few weeks I had it :'(

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

WTF?????

This is SO BUNK!!!!!

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

It is PURE PROFIT...they make money on your deposits until you use the card...

I am sure on any given day they have $1,000,000's in deposits they can make money on.

6. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

No! No! No!

I love this card! Why'd they do this. Where's the link to the announcement so I can read it for myself?

7. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

No online link yet. Call 1 (888) 814-9097 and listen to the recording.

Doc

8. beary

beary Well-Known Member

It's all very sad. :-(

Looks like it was a great product. I wonder if it was discontinued due to terroristic concerns?

Can't imagine why they would rid themselves of a seemingly great product.

9. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if visa buxx has the same deal as cobaltcard?

I'll miss this card!

-Roman

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

We must try Visa Buxx!!

11. Cadillac408

Can you fund your Visa Buxx card with a credit card?

I was under the impression that Visa Buxx was strictly for teenagers but I got my neighbor set up with this card because her credit was SHOT and she couldn't even get a visa check card from her bank.

We had to manipulate the system for her to get that card. Since she goes by her middle name, we set the account up using her real information as the parent and then set up an account for her *daughter* (as in her) using her middle name. The rep told us to do that but she also said that the SSN could NOT be the same for each person so we used her real one for the parent and then we changed the first 3 numbers of the daughter's SSN. She still has this card and funds it from her checking account.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

13. Cadillac408

I also set my neighbor up with a Cobaltcard as well. Boy is she going to be bummed......she was SO HONORED to have something that said AMEX in her wallet. Oh well....

14. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Try the AAA website. They have VISA debit cards you can fund. They strongly imply you can use an alias.

15. Cadillac408

16. romanduv

cobaltcard.com has updated with news of their end.

You can no longer fund the card.
    From November 19th u can't use the card.
    On December 10th they will refund your remaining funds (either credit your credit card, or send u a check).

Now I'm officially bummed. :-(

17. romanduv

Re: AAA Stored Value Cards

MP$40,
    Where did u see info about funding the aaa card? I looked through their website and couldn't find anything...
    Do you know if it's considered a cash advance if funding with a credit card? And finally, how can we withdraw money without paying ATM charges?

Thanks,
    -Roman