Collectech.....Warning and OSI

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Jan 10, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Collectech is a collection agency which handles alot of accounts. They had my phone collections (which I negotiated off). My girlfriend showed me her report and they put 4 entries on her report. This company will not negotiate so those of you with outstanding phone bills but not on your credit yet, collectech will try to buy it and screw you. Strangly enough they dont do $ for deletion. They tell you to work with the creditor. IN other words, they can't be bribed for deletion.

OSI collections worries me also. They pulled my credit report at the end of 1999. I called them and asked them what the freak they wanted. They did have a record of me. GET this, The girl told me they handle medical records and some student loans. She said they were probably just trying to see if they could buy one of my collections. Isnot that something. She just told me that. They put a inquiry on my report, cause they fishing for profit. Oh well, they were also on my girlfriends report.

Just thought I would share that guys. Some of you might want to call either agency to see if they have your account and see if you can avoid it reaching your credit report. I did that with a cable bill. I called them and said listen i owe. They told me who had the account. I gave them my correct new address. The agency sent me a bill and i paid is 2 months b4 they were gonna slam it on my report.

roni

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

RE: Collectech.....Warning and

Pulling someone's credit report to see if they can go fishing for collections is NOT a permissible purpose for obtaining a credit report on an individual per the FCRA. If a collection agency wants to pull a credit report on you, they must be under contract with one of your creditors or they must have purchased your account from one of your creditors.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

YOu are great at quoting the laws. The problem is the collection agency does not follow the laws and the credit bureaus help them. Nice input.

roni

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Credit reporting agencies answer to NOBODY!!!

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

except the FTC when fined.

roni

6. MBA in Pit

MBA in Pit Guest

Neither the CRAs nor collection agencies like being sued. Every so often they hit upon a person who knows how to protect himself.

7. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

That's why there are courts and lawyers. You can't force anyone to obey the laws, but if they break them, they can certainly be held accountable and suffer the conseqeunces.

Like most things in life, the only one who is going to look out for you and stand up for you, is you.

It is important for everyone to know their legal rights, as well as their obligations and responsibilities when it comes to credit.

The CRAs, creditors, and collection agencies hate dealing with people who know their legal rights and the laws that grant these rights. One is much more likely to resolve a situation to your satisfaction if you do.