Collection account

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Larissa, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Larissa

Larissa Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if it this is right?

On two of my reports I have a chargeoff from 98 and then there is a collection account (NCO) for that account as well...should they both be there? I tried disputing the NCO account with Trans and it came back saying "new info below" but nothing changed..actually that seems to be common as some items I disputed on my husband's came back the same way...the date verified didn't even change ( for the original the last date is in 98 and for the collection it is in 00)

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks
    Larissa

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Try disputing the charge off and "sold/transferred" and see if that works.

breeze

3. Larissa

Larissa Well-Known Member

Thanks breeze! I have been trying to dispute the collection account as duplicate, I never thought to dispute the original account( I guess I was hoping to get rid of the collection since it is newer and will be there longer) I will try your suggestion and see what happens.

Has anyone else had this deal with Trans where it says new info below but then there is none? What does it mean?

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

The collection can only legally stay on there for 7 years from the date of delinquency, no matter who had the account when it went delinquent. If they are "re-aging" the account, they are breaking the law.

breeze

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

The source of your problem is the collection agencies, not the credit bureaus.

Make the collection agencies eat the debt and then they won't be reporting to the credit bureaus.

Once you have made the collection agency eat the debt or pay the creditor off for you and agree to take it off your credit report themselves, then all you have to do is to use that letter the collection agency wrote you saying you do not owe the debt and send copies to the credit bureau and demand that they investigate or remove, and that's the end of it.

Fiddling around with the credit bureaus while the debt still exists is quite often a waste of time because even if they do delete it temporarily, it will often get put back on your report at a later time.