Collection Accounts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Terry, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

After my long journey with rehabilitating my credit, it comes down to 4 accounts left. The good thing is I can wait another 12 months and all 4 accounts will drop off my credit report.

One is a $3200.00 Charge off from Capitol One. It charged off in 1995, now its reportin a $7800.00 Charge off. Here is the funny part, I have NEVER been contacted from a collection agency regarding this account. I know the sol has run out as I am in PA and the sol is 4 years. My concern is that this account is Prior to 1997, so they might try to reage the account. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can negotiate a settlement for about 2K for a complete removal of this account? I tried disputing it with the bureaus and they only verify the information. Equifax removed it but Trans Union and Experian told me the account was verified. Junum tried with no luck, came back verified.

2 medical collections I refuse to pay, as the insurance company paid the claims. I have the Explanation of Benefits stating date, amounts paid, and check numbers. Trans Union and Experian deleted both accounts. Exquifax reports one account with a 0 balance. I am dealing with the collection agency because they are not reporting a balance, I did fax them a copy of the EOB, yet they haven't removed the notation. NCO is also listed in Equifax, TU and Exp removed both accounts. I sent NCO a copy of the EOB but to no avail. I recently sent them a validation letter, I received my green card the other day so I know they have it. I am watching my mail for their response.

The last account is for $195.00 from Collectech for a Bell Atalantic Bill. I called them and told them I moved so I had received nothing from them. I disputed them throught the bureaus they verified 3 CRA's. The sol has expired on this account. I sent them a validation letter so I will await their response.

any help or assistance members of this board can advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Lots of problems, eh?

Lots of problems, eh? Oh well, nothing new about that.

Let's get started to answer at least part of them.

I tried disputing it with the bureaus and they only verify the information.

That's par for the course, just to be expected.I've seen a few with obvious errors or other problems that get removed with no hassle, but those are usually in the minority. It's not that you get a letter stating it was verified, but what you follow up with that counts. Once you got that frivolous verified letter from them, did you follow up with the standard demand that they provide the name, company name and company phone number of the person who validated the information? If so, did you give them the 5 business days alloted them by the FCRA to provide you with the info?
    Check out the FCRA on that subject and you will see what to do about that silly insult to human intelligence they send you.
    ------------------------------
    Junum tried with no luck, came back verified.

All I know about Junum is what I read on these message boards. Some people obviously are quite happy with them, others complain about them. One poster claimed he figured out that they had about a 40% success rate spamming the credit bureaus. Sounds about right to me.
    -------------------------------
    While I realize that I am old and fog-headed, the following section just leaves me confusilated. It looks like you are not following any logical plan of action in dealing with the collection agencies. If you were, you should have had them pinned to the wall long ago.

I'll refrain from commenting on that for now.

I sent NCO a copy of the EOB but to no avail. I recently sent them a validation letter, I received my green card the other day so I know they have it. I am watching my mail for their response.
    -----------------------------
    What was your logic behind doing that? Why did you call them? What results did that get you?
    The last account is for $195.00 from Collectech for a Bell
    Atalantic Bill. I called them and told them I moved so I had received nothing from them.
    --------------------------------
    Who did you send the validation letter to and what did it say? Did you send it Certified Mail or just send it?

I disputed them throught the bureaus they verified 3 CRA's
    How on earth did that happen? Didn't your validation letter to the collection agency contain a "gag"? If it didn't, then they were free to report when the credit bureaus requested verification. If it did contain a "gag" then you should go after the collection agency.

. The sol has expired on this account. So if they continue to report then try to force them to sue you for the bill or shut up.

I sent them a validation letter so I will await their response.
    You already know what their response will most likely be.

Bill Bauer

3. kaliban

kaliban Well-Known Member

Regarding the prior to 1997 acct, I have had numerous 7 year old debts removed, even a couple that had been 're-aged', and it has always been very easy to do. I seriously doubt you will have any trouble removing a 7 yo, speaking only from my experience, of course.

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I think I confused you in my post Bill, so please accept my apology. When I started with repairing/rehabing/rebuilding my credit, the sol had already run out on all of my collection accounts.

I am merely trying to settle the debts and have them removed from my credit reports. The largest balance is from Cap One.

I ordered my reports and started in 1999. A majority of the collections are from 1994-1996. At first I handled them myself, reading everything on the web I could. I was quite successful on my own without Junum's help. As I stated earlier I retained them because I don't have the time to work on it myself.

I digress, anyway, I am down to 3 small collections on my Equifax, 2 collections on TU, and 4 collections on Experian.

As the sol has run out on all of my collection accounts, a majority of them I had removed from my credit reports via disputes.

I sent NCO a validation letter after reading the posts on this site. I know they received it because I received the green card back. I also sent validations to collectech, Gulf State, and Diversified. I have received all of the cards back, so I know they received the letters. So, I will wait to see what happens. The thing is I know they won't be able to verifiy the debts as they are all 5-6 years ol.

5. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

One of the first "problems" here is that the SOL has nothing to do with this that I can see. The SOL only deals with the date after which the debt may no longer be collected upon via filing of motion for summary judgement. Does not have any bearing on SOL for CRA reports, no bearing upon ringing your phone, sending you junk mail or anything else.
    ---------------------------------
    The thing is I know they won't be able to verifiy the debts as they are all 5-6 years ol.

For the above reasons I gave you, I think you are dead wrong and they can verify and report for the 7 years allowed by FCRA.