Collection Agencies And Disputes

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Rich08, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Rich08

Rich08 New Member

I apologize if this has been addressed before; I tried searching for a topic like this, but couldn't find anything.

I received two letters from two separate collection agencies back in July (I happened to be out of the country until Aug.). I called both collection agencies to dispute the chargesâ??one is for an energy bill and one is for a phone billâ??because I had never heard of these accounts. Both of these supposed bills are from 2003, when I lived in another state (I moved from that state in 2005 and have been living at my current residence ever since). Furthermore, this is not the first time Iâ??ve heard about this energy bill. Back in Feb., another collection agency mailed me a letter, looking to collect this debt. I called and disputed the charge with that ageny, and they subsequently sent me a letter saying that they had â??stopped collecting on this account and have returned your account to the creditor listed aboveâ?â??a creditor who I had never of heard of until that point. I called that creditor, left a message and never heard back.

Now its back, along with this separate phone bill. After I called both collection agencies to dispute the charges, they sent me letters with pretty logos from law firms that basically just listed the charges.

I just went to AnnualCreditReport.com to look at my credit report. Both of these collections are not listed on Equifaxâ??s and TransUnionâ??s credit reports (Iâ??m still waiting on Experian).

Now both of these collection agencies have my correct pedigree info and info from my pastâ??my address my phone, etcâ?¦

But I know I did not open these accounts.

Is there anything I can do?

(Thank you for taking the time to read my post)

2. greg1045

greg1045 Well-Known Member

Just write them back and tell them you are not the individual they're trying to collect on as you NEVER resided there. Are your first/last names common - like John Smith?

3. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

If they're not on your reports, there is really nothing to do yet.

I will presume that one was NCO?

4. Rich08

Rich08 New Member

Thank you greg and apex. I greatly appreciate the thoughts.

Yes, these collections are not on my credit reports. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is NCO? Also, regarding my name and address... I did live at the address the collection agencies have on their file, and I do have a really unique last name. But again, I did not open those accounts.

So that's it, I shouldn't worry unless these show up on my TransUnion/Equifax/Experian report?

What else can I do to get prove to two collection agencies that I didn't open these accounts (one for an electric bill and one for a phone bill), thus making them stop pursuing collection? They do not call me and I don't receive any letters from them. But it would be nice peace of mind knowing that I don't have to fight some agency.

Thank you for your time and help

5. greg1045

greg1045 Well-Known Member

NCO is the collection agency. Sorry, do not know what the N, C, O actually stand for.
    Since you say that you actually lived at that address but never opened those accounts - did anyone else living with you? If not then you have big time issues with the utility company and the phone company.

6. Rich08

Rich08 New Member

yes, someone was living with me at that address. But I can't get in touch with that person now to clarify (This is five years after the fact). But still, these accounts are not on my credit reports. I can try to get in touch with the utiliy companies to seek some clarity.

7. jjgross

jjgross Well-Known Member

Here's a question did you have the service cut off if you did there should be a final statement sent to you.Are they sent it to him and he said this one for you Rich.