Collection Agencies/Why is it?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Why is it when you offer to pay the FULL AMOUNT owed in exchange for deletion, they want to be jerks about it? It's almost like they would rather keep trying to collect than to get their money ASAP????? Deleting their entry on a credit report is not in any way harming them.

Also, in regards to the discussion that we've been having about "Credit Morals"....

I think how you handle your bad debts depends on if an agency is collecting on behalf of someone (i.e. they get X% and the original creditor gets X%) or if they bought the debt from a creditor. It has been my person experience (excluding agencies that were trying to collect from me where I really didn't owe the debt) that If an agency is collecting on behalf, 9 times out of 10 you can negotiate w/ the original creditor. Then you can dispute (i.e. never done business w/ these people, validate, etc.) it and it will probably come off your report. If the debt has been bought from a creditor by a collection agency, then in my opinion, you need to do everything and anything you can to get it off of your report! Fortunately, I've never been in this situation and I would probably never pay these people a dime unless they were going to remove!

So I guess the bottom line before you deal w/ any agency, you need to figure out how they are collecting the debt (either on behalf or not). Once you figure that out, you can proceed from there. I guess that's the type of information you would find out in a valadation letter if they would mail the back part to you.

2. mt

mt Guest

Re: Collection Agencies/Why is

I do not think debt is really a moral issue -- if something has happened, you cannot go back in time, however, you can try to make the best of the situation by using some of the techniques/methods that have been suggested and used successfully on this board. I do think that if you have a legal obligation to repay that you should do it -- not because it is a moral obligation, but a legal one.