Collection Agencies

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kelly, Nov 27, 2000.

1. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I'm confused about how these collection agencies work.

1)Do they mostly operate on a state wide basis. Or for certain types of debts. Are most subsidiaries of a larger CA?

2)Is there any way I can stop them from pulling my Credit report. I think it's called "poisoning". One keeps pulling my husbands CR. They know where we are. I've been trying to negotiate with them. What is their "permissible purpose" for pulling his report. It royally sucks!

Kelly

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Number 2, maybe kristi can add

Don't quote me here but I recall this being brought up before. they "claim" that their permissible purpose is their attempt to collect a debt. Which we all know is hogwash, but I believe that is how they get around poisoning your credit file. Atleast that is what I was told??

Mom

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

which one

Kelly may I ask which collection agency is putting inquries on your husband's reports??

Mom

4. Irish Diva

Irish Diva Guest

RE: which one

Most agencies will take a look once a year or so depending on the amount owed. Unfortuenatly there are a lot of agencies out there that use unfair, illegal and unethical practices to gather information about you and to make you pay.

5. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

RE: which one

CBC National Collections. Meade and Associates has done it once.

Kelly