collection agency confusion

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angel, May 9, 2000.

1. Angel

Angel Guest

I have one account listed 3 separate times on my credit report. The original account was charged off. It was sold to a collection agency. Then sold to another ollection agency. I'm trying to settle the debt.

Also, the last agency has an inquiry listed. Is this legal if I didn't authorize it? I read that this is an attempt by collection agencies to destroy your credit.

Where should I begin? Will I be able to get at least 2 off my reports? (The first and second creditors say they can't work with me)

2. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

RE: collection agency confusio

This should be argued under the FCRA accuracy issues. It is not accurate to report the same debt 3 times. If any, the debt should be listed as sold or transferred by the original creditor (not show charge off)and then listed one time by the collection agency who owns it right now. Question all three accounts to the CRA. The older collection agency will be removed, since they no longer own it. The other may not even verify it. If they do, negotiate it for a better rating. Don't pay a penny without something in writing.

Angel wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I have one account listed 3 separate times on my credit report. The original account was charged off. It was sold to a collection agency. Then sold to another ollection agency. I'm trying to settle the debt.

Also, the last agency has an inquiry listed. Is this legal if I didn't authorize it? I read that this is an attempt by collection agencies to destroy your credit.

Where should I begin? Will I be able to get at least 2 off my reports? (The first and second creditors say they can't work with me)