Collection Agency contacting

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MistyEyed, Apr 2, 2001.

1. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Quick question for you legal experts. I received a bill in the mail from a collection agency. Apparently it was a phone bill from 3 years ago I never received. Well instead of dealing with the collection agency, I would rather deal with Bellsouth themselves. So I called Bellsouth (who by the way doesn't even report anything on my credit report) and asked what the deal was.

I verified the account was mine over the phone and they were very nice. It was only like $100 which I would have paid 3 years ago had I known about it, but basically she just said send the check in the mail and they would consider it closed.

So I found a sample letter online that basically fires the collection agency and tells them to Cease and desist all attempts to collect the debt, that I would be negotiating directly with the original creditor. My question is, are they allowed to respond to me, contact me or try again to collect? What exactly happens when I send this letter? I can't imagine that even for a law to protect consumers that they would completely leave a collection agency with no alternatives, so i want to cover my bases.

Thanks,
    Misty

2. Bigun

Bigun Guest

Re: Collection Agency contacti

Were I you, I'd pay BellSouth and if the collection agencey contacted me again, I'd send a copy of the canceled check and include a note saying no need to contact you again on this matter.

3. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Ya that is what I was just thinking. Im overnighting Bellsouth the payment tonight, and am going to wait 2-3 days to make sure that they defintely process the check through. The rep also told me she would send me a receipt as paid. Then after that if they contact me again I'll send the receipts and cancelled check to them.

I was really surprised how helpful and polite the rep was, usually when people are late, alot of them act like they are so much better than you. What kill sme is this was only $100, I wish I had known about this 3 years ago and I would have paid it immediately and not even had to bother with this.

Misty

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Wait...if you pay Bellsouth, what if the collection agency reports it (that has happened to me..after payment was made)...

:) Thanks

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Author: ~C~ (---.denver1.co.home.com)
    Date: 04-02-01 15:47

Wait...if you pay Bellsouth, what if the collection agency reports it (that has happened to me..after payment was made)...

:) Thanks

Reply To Message===I had the same happen to me =WHAT's the Answer?

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer..Junum got all removed from one report and 3 on another..it was a crock..I paid the bill...had never heard a word from anyone on it..then it shows up...from some company I've never heard of...no kidding, they had reported 4 times on each..so, still have it listed once on 2..

and it's not a collection...