Collection Agency Help

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by cmolina, May 3, 2001.

1. cmolina

cmolina Member

I have a collection account on my credit report with Credit Bureau of Greensboro. It is from a hospital bill and shows a 0 balance.

I contacted the agency and attempted to explain that it is not my bill - they referred me to the original creditor who also confirms they have no record of the bill.

The collection agency verifies the debt with the credit reporting agencies. They refuse to contact the creditor to verify the debt. In fact my last call to them they told me the only thing they could do was "say goodbye".

Cute no.....

So, since they keep verifying the debt and refuse to check with the creditor who reported it to them what do I do??????

HELP!!!

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Is it a zero balance because it is a paid collection or is it just being reported as a collection with a zero balance?

Godaddyo

3. cmolina

cmolina Member

It says:

Presbyterian HO-amount 149 paid; balance 0.

4. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Cmolina:
    Unfortunately youâ??re dealing with an amateur, a hack that doesn't know his/her craft and could care less. Because if they (the collector you spoke with) were half as slick as they come off (the â??say goodbyeâ? crack), theyâ??d have done more than offer a smart-aleck remark. Nonetheless, consider the sourceâ?¦

What I suggest you do is compose a serious but courteous and business-like letter (in your own words), addressed to the collection manager of Credit Bureau of Greensboro (certified, return receipt). Briefly explain the situation and remind him/her that 15 USC §1692e(2)(a) & §1692e(8) â?? of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act â?? prohibits the dissemination of false and misleading representations. Donâ??t get too carried away with legal jargon, simple quote the cite as Iâ??ve posted it in italics (above).

Indicate that by continuing to report the debt as yours when it is not can be construed as a violation of law, especially if he/she refuses to rectify the situation following your notice. Then request (donâ??t demand) that the item be cleared with the appropriate CRA(s) within 10 business days (from receipt of the letter), and ask (again, donâ??t demand) that he/she notify you in writing once that is done. Remember be firm but polite.

Allow about 15-days from the time you send the letter, and if youâ??ve not had a response by then write another. Only this time make it short and sweet, only memorializing that youâ??ve not received notice of any correction(s) as requested earlier.

From this point you may want to hire a lawyer to draft another letter to the agent (collection manager), indicating that youâ??ve sought his/her opinion for possible representation. Also if the debt is purported to be within your local court jurisdictional limits, review your litigation options with the attorney.

All in all, what youâ??re after here is to establish an evidence trail supporting a good faith effort to resolve the issue(s) before resorting to litigation. The collections manager (if he/she is any good at all) will realize this and should take action, some kind of attention other than a quick one-liner. What youâ??re doing is essentially putting the collection agent on notice that youâ??re not going to lay down for shoddy reporting practices. This in itself should get results, depending on the CAâ??s desire to avoid a controversy over a $150 beef.