Collection Agency inquiry

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mirage, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Need some direction here.

A collection agency has pulled my Transunion report on 2/01 and 3/01. Not sure what this is for as I am current on all my active accounts and just completed my BK-13 last year. I have not received any notices from them. Should I contact them? or just ignore them? This situation scares me as I do not know if owe money or what and it also pi**es me off as I've been trying to keep my inquiries low. It appears that they are only pulling Transunion and not the other two.

Best regards,
    Sam

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think I would ask the CRA for a sopy of the signed authorization to inquire.

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

sopy=copy

4. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: sopy=copy

Breeze, who can authorize a credit report to be pulled other than me?

I will ask Transunion for the signed authorization. Still don't know why they pull the report twice within a 6 week time frame.

Best regards,
    Sam

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

You are the only one who can give authorization. They will most likely tell you it was a "permissible purpose" and to contact the CA, but I always try the CRA first.

I haven't had CA's do inquiries, but insurance companies do it from time to time (I am an agent), sometimes without signed authorization. I always make them take it off or change it to "account review" if they can't send me the copy of an authorization.

It's usually when the insurance company is being sued for something ;) Some of them don't do background checks on us agents like they should, then some agent does something really bad, the company gets sued and they're running around covering their a&&. I just do it on principle - they should ask me for authorization.

breeze

6. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Breeze, thanks for the answers.

One more question.

If I did forget to pay someone or somehow a creditor thinks I owe them money can they give the CA permission to pull my file?

7. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

When I got my credit report a few weeks ago I had the same company pull my credit report 4 times in a one month time frame. This was also a company that was a collection agency for an account over 3 years old and for under $100! Made me sick. And yes of course I threatened to sue them if they didnt stop :)

Misty

8. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Misty, did they stop?

My concern is that I filed bk-13 and was finally discharged last August. So now I am wondering did I forget someone??? I know Citibank keeps thinking I owe them money, but they too were included in the bk. (I was not allow to pick) The last CA did find me but after a couple of weeks of phone conversations they stopped. Not sure if this company bought the debt or what.

Best regards,
    Sam

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

CRA's don't have to check on the companies that pull your credit. The collection agency just does it. The collection aency most likely has an account with the CRA, and uplls lots of files. Only a few know to object. The lettes and stuff you need are here, and the email group will probably help you also:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/credit-repair/files/Letters

10. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Well i just sent the letter to the collection agency and havent heard back yet. The 4 were pulled like Jan 10, 16, 30 and February 6 or somewhere around those dates. I sent a letter basically telling them they were fired and that I had settled the debt with the original creditor and told them if I see any more inquiries or reporting from their company I was gonna sue them for false information and defamation of character. Ill let you know if they stop.

Misty

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that you should get the existing inquiries *off* - not just "no more inquiries."

But yeah, that's the approach.