Collection Agency Letter

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by doodyhead, Aug 24, 2001.

1. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

Ok,
    a collection agency sent me a letter with NO info, just said, "please call us regarding an important matter."

Now, should this go in the trash? After all, if it WAS an important matter, they WOULD HAVE included the important info WITH the letter, wouldn't they?

2. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Hay Doodyhead (Love that user name!):
    How do you know itâ??s from a collection agent if no other info is on the letter? Have you received another from the same company sometime in the past?

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hellooo-oooo, Anthony, most of us know who they are. Get real. teehee

Speaking of collecting.......

breeze

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yep. It's just like those phone calls NCO loves to make. You answer the phone and this recorded voice comes on and says "Please hold the line for an important message" and then a second or so later says "I'm sorry, no one is available to take your call at the moment. Please call back again at a later time."

Another one is "Please call 1-800-eat-**** for an important message"

Or "All our operators are busy handling other customers. Someone will be with you shortly"

If their operators are so busy why did they bother to call me in the first place? So I just hang up. I'm too busy to talk to them too.

These clowns pull the dumbest stunts sometimes.

5. Crdt Dfnse

Yeah, and thereâ??s a method to my madness in asking the question. At least there wasâ?¦
    Heeeellllooooo, Breeeze! [;-)

PS: I have no idea what happened to your check, it was mailed, I swear!

6. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

Anthony,

I am sure they're not contacting me to let me know I'm the winner of their 1 million dollar sweepstakes.

LOL

That would be nice, though, then I could pay all my bills off.

And, no, they haven't contacted me in the past.

BTW... I also had a collection agency for a dr. bill (not mine, DH's) calling us, leaving a message with a 800 #, makes it sound like it's a friend calling. What a pain in the ass. Then you call and ask why they called, they want your personal info. I told them if it was important enough, they'd have a real person contact me. Bastards, anyway, this was due to Blue Cross taking 8 months to pay a claim.

I hate blue cross.

7. Crdt Dfnse

Doodyhead:
    A few more questionsâ?¦
    1. What is the name of the collection agent? I ask because if Iâ??m not familiar with the firm, Iâ??ll research some industry material.
    2. What is the dollar amount alleged owed?
    3. Do you deny the debt is yours?

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Although I have not seen the prohibition abused in years, what might be important is what number they said they wanted you to call to get that important information. My point is that it is illegal for a debt collector to require you to use a number you have to pay to call to receive their important information or for any other reason. They must use toll free numbers for such purposes.

Then I'd call them up and find out who they are, with the tape recorder running, of course.
    When they come on the line, they are going to want to know who you are. Don't answer that question, but rather demand to find out who they are. If they refuse to answer that question clearly and in no uncertain terms, you may have gained a bit of an advantage that you might be able to use later. As soon as you find out who they are, tell them "Thank you for your important information" and hang up.

It's likely they will call you right back in a few minutes and again turn on your tape recorder.
    Answer the phone and if the caller starts playing funny games with you, or making demands no normal person would make, then ask them who they are again. Once you find out, thank them for their important information and hang up again.

If they keep on callng back, maybe half a dozen times or more making their funny little demands
    you may or may not be able to hang them on a charge of harrassment. And who knows, you might be able to p*** them off enough to get them to swearing at you. Then you could have some fun with them.

If nothing else, you might even have some fun out of it all. They sure can get frustrated.

One thing you want to be extremely careful of, however is that it's not Anthony calling you. If so, you might turn him into a pi&#241ata with teeth.

Do you think that would make a good "STANDARD DISCLAIMER" statement? Or was his statement just too silly to use?

9. Crdt Dfnse

Doddyhead:
    Notwithstanding buffoonic, disjointed, and neuroticly irrelevant remarks..? If you could answer the prior question I posted? These will help address the ISSUES youâ??re concerned with more accurately. Here they are once again:

1. What is the name of the collection agent?
    2. What is the dollar amount alleged owed?
    3. Do you deny the debt is yours?