collection agency vs debt purchase?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jmb825, Nov 21, 2001.

1. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Westcap
    Your post has a defensive tone to it. I hereby demand that you cease & desist!!!! (LOL}
    You have absolutely no grounds for defensive stances. As far as I am concerned you are already preaching to this choir of one at the very least. (LOL) I strongly recommend to one and all that they pay close heed to this person because it's obvious to me that he knows exactly what he is talking about. And good SIR, yes, I'm going to pick your posts apart, not to offend or put you down in any way but to carefully analyze what you say. You Sir have my attention and respect.

That having been said, let us proceed.
    Yes, I am quite well aware of that.
    I can well understand and sympathize with you. Been there, done that, wore that dirty T-shirt. Experience is a wonderful teacher.
    I have long said that one can get better relief in an outhouse than in a courthouse. It's better by far to settle things in an "amicable" manner if at all possible. We are in total agreement on that point. Even though I know have an excellent (or so I believe right now) source to rely on when push comes to shove, I still think a negotiated settlement that leaves both parties uninjured to the greatest extent possible is the best way to go.
    Does this intend to say that you are also an attorney?
    I would consider that to be an unlikely conclusion to reach.
    Agreed
    Might do. Personally I would rather have a much bigger hammer to hold over their heads in case they want to play wiggly-worm. Maybe that's just because I don't have the experience and success with your idea that you do. One can have a great sense of confidence in an idea he hears whereever and feels that it's a great idea, but until it works for him, he is still going to have distrust and an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach (so to speak) Everyone is well aware of what I say here.[/quote]
    Remember, the FDCPA, requires that collectors deal with the public so that the"least sophisticated consumer" can understand what is going on. When presented with this type of internal "jargon" the agency and original creditor want absolutely NOTHING to do with the debtor who presents their case to them in their own language. [/quote] So I've noticed. (LOL)
    As you have probably gathered, I consider myself to be one of the best there is out there. But guess what??? I don't delude myself into thinking that I have every angle of this situation under control. And if I were indeed so foolish as to think I did, your post and your suggestions would be a well deserved punch in the nose.
    AMEN TO THAT!
    I for one thank you very much for that. But your post also potentially solve s several other problems that folks have. I'll go into that in a moment.
    I think you can plan on that happening.
    You got that right too, but the serious player also has to know small claims court procedures as well if he is going to be successful.

There are at least two other scenarios in which your approach could be most helpful. 1. Lots of people just don't want to go around beating their creditors even if they have the ability to do so. I say "BRAVO" to them and I think your idea neatly solves their dilemna if they can successfully ram it down the throats of the collectors, but what advice do you have when the collector returns the check in the manner that George has suggested. I beg of you to answer George's questions if you can. I know for a fact that they are valid questions.

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Westcap

This is going to cause a few problems to say the least. First of all, Office Max wanted $38 for the rubber stamp so I doubt it's going to be a household item. It would be cheaper in some areas due to Oklahoma City having one of the highest sales tax rates in the nation. Other areas may be even more expensive.

The second problem is going to be that the size of the area available for the stamp to fit in is small and therefore would leave no room for a signature and the endorser would be forced to use a pen to endorse the check and they would have to sign over the top of the stamp. This would make the "contract" itself partly illegible. Most businesses would simply rubber stamp their deposit stamp over the top of it making the endorsement almost totally illegible if they did that so it may well void the check entirely making it uncashable.

On top of that, it is necessary to use mixed case lettering to even hope to get the stamp within the federally designated area and the lettering might turn out to be so small as to be totally illegible rendering the whole idea useless.

How do we get around these minor little problems even if we can get a stamp made that would be acceptable and legible.

Seems we have a little way to go here between the plate and the mouth here.

what say you?

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Bigger checks?

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

We shall see what westcap has to say, Breeze.

it's his ballgame.

5. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

Many Thanks Westcap,
    I have been diligently trying to find what you have "encompassed" in a couple of priceless posts.
    #
    Trade Line means :"entries" on your CR ?
    If United Recovery Systems writes :"Your deliquent a/c has been assigned to this ofice for collection.Our "Client" has agreed to accept $-------
    as a settlement in full.(Client is AMEXCO).
    I have been "solely" w/AMEX for 32 years,will agree to Pay In Full,But I need a Clean Slate.
    I'm probable ignorant to believe that 32 yrs of compatible membership and relations W/Amex mean Anything to them- but a great credit standing went to a trash status in a matter of three months of
    charges and billing disagreements.I just urgently need to know who I should deal with.
    If I deal w/ URS,and "pay-in-full,am I still on AMEX's
    "S..t List" ?
    TIA,Westcap
    KNDT

6. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

PS :Or do you think I could/should try to dealdirectly w/AMEX??
    (One more question,please) Is it Possible that AMEX would/could "Recall" my debt - let me Pay their "bounty",In Full.then let me Cancel my card(if that is what AMEX wants ?Seems to me that All records would disappear ??
    Thx again,
    KNDT

7. WestCap

WestCap Active Member

Hello Again,
    I am spending the weekend away from my office, but will be remotely connected to monitor this forum. In order to help you with "the stamp is too big" problem, On Monday, I will scan a copy of the actual stamp and e-mail to Bill Bauer. He can then post it to his site so that everyone can take the demo stamp to Office Max, Staples or Office Depot.

I know that there are a lot of pending questions. How would you all feel about setting up a thread that says ASK WESTCAP. I can then answer each and every question in a detailed manner.

I would always defer to Mr. Bauer and the gang, as they ARE the experts of credit and credit restoration!

This would permit me to assist everyone from "my perspective"

What do you think?

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

What do I think?

I think it would be an outstanding idea.

I will make any such copy of any such stamp as you propose freely available to anyone.

9. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

"ASK WESTCAP" would be a 5 STAR success !!!!

10. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

So Bill,
    I'm still waiting for "a true & full answer to your(my) question",(as of today (Sat.).
    TIA,KNDT
    This board is getting really interesting.I hope you All (patiently) Distinguish The Differences in your Ways To "Skin-The-Cat".
    KWH

11. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

Sorry to Hog the "Site",but i've been diligently looking for Real answers,and At Last..........
    ** ONLY ONE AMEX A/C
    CRA's(3),Reports show TWO Entries (on same a/c)
    1) Revolving Account,Charged Off AS Bad Debt
    $xxxxx.Opened 12/1969
    Closed 07/2001
    2)Open Account,Placed For Collection
    $ XXXX Opened 12/1969
    Closed 04/2001
    ## 1) Is "Extended Payment Option".

##2) Is"Pay- In-Full" (monthly)

What the Hecks going on here y'all ?? This is One A/C.

Many TIA's, KNDT

12. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

Please Bump this message

13. Tuit

Tuit Well-Known Member

Bump! LOL :)

14. WestCap

WestCap Active Member

kehoy2k,
    I have been thinking about your question and believe that you are correct in your thinking that you only had one American Express Card. The reason that there are two trade lines is perhaps because you used the "sign and travel" option that AMEX offered or one of the other "delayed payment" options. This would be the reason for what appears to be two duplicate accounts.

AMEX has a relationship with CENTURION BANK that appears to be one entity, but is not. The extended pay accounts such as OPTIMA, BUSINESS FLEX, SIGN AND TRAVEL etc. run through that portion of the business. Although the bill comes in one statement, the processing centers break the payment down and apply money to the Monthly Pay card and then Centurion charges.

Another thought, what are the chances that AMEX has the original documents from 1969 to confirm that YOU actually signed the application and original cardholder agreement?

Hmmmm....
    WestCap

15. WestCap

WestCap Active Member

One more thing,
    The delayed payment options from AMEX come with an established line of credit. For instance, although you may be able to charge 10K on the monthly pay account, you will only be able to charge up to 3500.00 on the Sign and Travel or Extended Payment Plan Purchases. The rules for moving charges to these "Back Accounts" are rigid and must meet the qualifications of the programs. For instance, you can not move the purchase of a home theater system to the sign and travel section, but you can move a 10 day Caribbean cruise! This element of an established "credit line" will also confirm that your account was set up as discussed.
    WestCap

16. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

I would love to Fax you some writings and readings I have on that,if you will let me.For 31 1/2 years AMEX was a "Charge Card" for/to me. A couple of years I "X'd" a box for a "new" feature from a Previously Pay In Full (monthly) Credit Card Co.The "new" feature was a "Sign and Fly" program.Nothing "automatic"("X" the box if you want Extended Payment)(I NEVER "X' the box-Used It).
    ##AMEX has Since cfhanged the Feature to "Sign & Travel", (which Now includes :Hotels,Car Rental, and ???).No Problem here. As I said I NEVER used the Offer,NEVER.NO WestCap,I NEVER "X'd" an EXTENDED PAY OPTION.IF AMEX wanted to "extend" me money @ Prime Plus,I might have taken them up on the "offer" and bought Treasury Bonds for goodness sakes, but otherwise...100 % Not interested.BTW, the "X'd" original "Sign-n-Fly was sort of "If I got a "wild hair", and wanted to fly my Godchildren to Disney,or Aspen, or Mazatlan ???Just Do It. I turned down their damned Platinum Card two years ago.I Already had a $100,00 credit line, and I don't need that.Thirty-Two Years,33 countries,pay-in-full, Every month suited me fine.
    Then Comes The B... S....
    I hope you will give me your Fax #,There Is More to this story, and I guess you can see I'm P....D.
    I Haven't Borrowed Any Money Since 1966(Pilot Training) My First Credit Report Mar/2001.
    I thank you for responding to me Tonight.
    KNDT

17. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

what if you stamp it AFTER they cash it?

18. WestCap

WestCap Active Member

Ahhhhhhhhhh.....
    I can't /won't answer that question
    : )

19. kehoy2k

kehoy2k Active Member

I reread my Post.Yes I "X' the Travel "box",but the deal was Optional (as to whether you wanted to "extend " the Airplane Tkt. Payment,. I "X'd" for the Option .If you wanted to "exercise" the Option, "just "X' the "box" on the Invoice, and your airplane tickets would be "revolving",Otherwise(if you didn't "X" the box),your Monthly charges would be as normal,Pay In Full.When the "EXTENDED PAYMENT OPTION " began I Don't Know.Amex apparently Temporarily started some BS thing (I found out(after-the-fact) "Any Charge $200 or More Will Automatically go on a/the EXTENDED PAYMENT OPTION PLAN (listed on another page BTW) I guess All amex card members were Automatically "joined" with the "Extended BS".PS: This Program Has Since Been Cancelled (to the best of my knowledge.AMEX GFOLD is (once again) a "Charge Card",and AMEX has created New "CREDIT"(Revolving) Cards.(Blue,ETC).Enough Ranting for here and now, but Damn AMEX !
    Thanks for your patience,
    KNDT

20. WestCap

WestCap Active Member

I am glad to be of assistance. I would still demand validation!
    WestCap