Collection Agency Woes (HELP!)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dustin, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

I have found out that I owe a collection agency $350. in fee's for accounts less than a year old. I am willing to pay this (even though the total amounts of the bills owed is $200), but they insist that they file a judgement first. This is the first time that they have contacted me. I do not dispute the money owed to them, and I have told them that I will pay it, but they say I have to wait until I am served, and then pay $450 in fees (for judgement filed, serving, etc).
    Isn't something about this whole thing illegal. Don't they have to try and contact me about these charges. On all the bills that they have, is my CORRECT address, yet they have never sent me anything about this, until I got a call from my mother (200 miles away), that the Sherriff was there trying to serve with papers (a month ago). I found out who they were from, and called the collection agency, and asked her if she could send me copies of the bills (she did). Now that I know I do owe this, she will not accept payment...
    If I send her a check and she refuses it, will that help me out, because she refused payment...
    Sorry for rambling, but this is too fishy to be legal...
    Thanks for any help any of you can give me. I tried looking up laws, but I can't find anything other than the 30 days to dispute stuff... All debts were incurred in Washington State, and the Collection Agency is in Oregon.

Dustin

2. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Re: Collection Agency Woes (HE

Why don't you call the original creditor and offer to pay them directly?

3. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

They were sold to the collection agency....
    A bad check ($150. my fault)
    Doctor Bill ($15.00 - insurance didn't cover, but was never told this)
    and
    $60.00 - Internet service. They don't mail invoices, they expect you to send in $$ each month. I work for their competitor now...

I do owe the money, but I thought that I would get notified first, so that I may dispute them, rather than be sued right off the bat...

4. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

I will try. I have nothing to lose right now. I just don't want a judgement on my credit report. Everytime I get ahead, something goes wrong.

But I will send out payment to the original creditors and see if they cash the checks. I hope they do. If they don't, can't I just say that they refused payment?

Thanks for the help! I am reading the Fair Collections Act right now, and I wish they would have a "FCA for Dummies" version!

Dustin