Collection Agency won't provid

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Carrot, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Carrot

Carrot Guest

I got a notice of collection from Risk Management Alternatives in October or November and sent them a letter asking for proof of the debt. No reply, but they sent another notice in December. Again, I requested proof of debt, and sent the letter return receipt this time. I also CC'd the request to the FTC and the Virginia Department of Consumer Affairs. Guess what came in the mail today? Yep, another notice, but still no proof that the debt belongs to me! What's my next step?

2. river

river Well-Known Member

RE: Collection Agency won't pr

Is this a local collection agency?You can get a supena from the courts.I know it sounds far fetch,but that's what I was told by both,collection agency and Transunion last Thursday. I had called Transunion and requested a copy of original app with my signature and was told had to get supena in order to get copy. I had called creditor who turned it over to collections and requested same thing a month ago and haven't recievied NOTHING!!!!!!Your guess is as good as mine as what to actually do. Maybe someone here on board can shed some light on this subject.

3. MBA in Pit

MBA in Pit Guest

e-mail me if someday you find them listed as a creditor on your credit report.

4. Tyson

Tyson Guest

Carrot, if this debt is in fact yours, why not try and work out a settlement of some kind?

5. TommyC

TommyC Guest

Ah yes, Risk Management Alternatives, is a spinoff from Equifax's "ERM." If memory serves me well, ERM (Equifax Recovery Management), was Equifax's debt collection agency. Risk Management Alternatives is located in Overland Park, Kansas. (913)696-0096. They specialized in buying out-of-statute of limitation debts and anyone who has recently disputed an entry with Equifax, and it comes back verified, can in all liklihood, expect a collection letter from them. Best wishes, TommyC

6. Carrot

Carrot Guest

The debt itself is very small (less than $50), all I want is proof that it is indeed mine. I will gladly pay it since it is not on my credit report. By law, I have the right to request proof of the debt, and RMA has not complied with my request.