Collection Agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by muf_fin@3, Jul 20, 2001.

  1. muf_fin@3

    muf_fin@3 Well-Known Member

    Is there anything that can be done when a collection agency calls your neighbor and said that they were strying to get in contact with me but couldn't and call a neighbot 3 doors down?i
  2. bbauer

    bbauer Banned

    If they identified themselves to your neighbor as a collection agency then it seems likely to me that they would have violated FDCPA law.

    I may be wrong about that. I don't remember seeing that actual type of circumstance covered in FDCPA, but if they can't send you a letter which actually says collection agency on the outside of it, then why would it not be a violation of FDCPA to call up all your neighbors and identify themselves as a collection agency trying to run you down?

    You will likely get lots of comments on this, so we will see what others think on this issue too.
  3. Hope

    Hope Well-Known Member

    Ask your neighbors what they said. Also, did you give the creditor the neighbor's contact information on your original application?

    If not, the law says neither a creditor, not collection agency can mention anything about your alleged debt to those people. The fine is $10,000 and people have collected it.
  4. lbrown59

    lbrown59 Well-Known Member

    is $10000.oo a fine or damages.?
    A fine goes to The Gov. Damages are paid to the victim.

    Who gets the $10000.oo?

  5. jmart

    jmart Well-Known Member

    It's up to a 10,000 fine...but you could sue for damages as well.. Deffamation of character, etc.. They're not allowed to mention your debt at all to anyone else...they can't even discuss it on your answering machine...
  6. muf_fin@3

    muf_fin@3 Well-Known Member

    The neighbor stated on a piece of paper that they said they were unable to contact me, that how they called the neighbor. I DID NOT give them my neighbor as a contact person, I think they looked in the White Pages to see who lives on my street. I don't even talk to the neighbor. What should I do?
  7. bbauer

    bbauer Banned

    I'd file complaint with the Attorney General's office in your state and then head for your lawyer's office. File on them both criminally and civil.

Share This Page