Collection Agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by heather, May 12, 2001.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I have a collection agency on my credit report for a bank charge off, they sent me the first letter regarding this account in December or so, in that letter they told me to contact them within 7 days and the account would not be placed on my credit report. I have copies of my credit report and it was entered in September of 2000. Will I have any leverage against the collection company for sending me a letter with false information? It is obvious that they placed the account on my report, but the letters all say they wouldn't if they were contacted within a certain timeframe. Anyone had this situation before?

2. heather

Anyone?

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well, you may not like this answer. I had a situation where the creditor had reportedt he account to the credit bureau at one point but the credit bureau didnot report it on my reports until like 3-4 months later. Maybe they thought it would show up later. I found this out by asking questions like when was then reported etc. I am saying this show that the dates may not matter much. This may show also that they dont have their act together and may not verify the debt.....

4. heather

Roni,
    They are verifiying the debt, I thought that since the letters they sent are so full of outright lies that I may be able to call them on it and pay the debt in exchange for total deletion.

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

The question is did they do anything illegal. If you had paid it by the time they offered for removal and it was reported anyway and they wouldnot remove it, I would say you had a case. But that is not what happened. I am just giving my opinion. You may want to pursue another avenue.