Collection debt agency question.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by samira1973, Oct 21, 2010.

1. samira1973

samira1973 Well-Known Member

Ok,

Well there were asking on the phone if the CA made any settelment offer for you,and I said no because they have not. They do they work with if you talk to them I said no because they are rud on the phone.
    looks that they want to settel since they ask me if the CO offer any settelment.

I will think after all this the should pull the account back with them,but they want to transfer me to the CA.
    I will try again if the try to transfer me again then forget it.

Also why the CO try to call me after I send them a validate letter,and ask them not to call me. If they want they can write me. they did not go trough ,and they just forgot about my rights.

Thanks

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

When you write "CO", do you mean "CA"? Anyway, did you send your DV and letter requesting communication in writing via CMRRR? Are you 100% sure they received it? If so, the CA should stop the phone calls from this point forward.

Good luck with you follow up call!

3. samira1973

Yes, I did send DV letter requesting communication in writing via CMRRR , and they got it because I received the card back in the mail signed,and the 2 lette I send for a settelment offer , I send it CMRRR ,and I also got the card back in the mail with the same signature on it. they never called me before,or after the letter I send them antill I called the OC ,and then half later after I hang up the phone the CA called me. They still called me after they got the letter.

Thanks

4. JoshuaHeckathorn

Then they may have violated the FDCPA, unless they were calling for one of the following reasons:

(1) to advise the consumer that the debt collectorâ??s further
    efforts are being terminated;

(2) to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor
    may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily
    invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or

(3) where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt
    collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy

5. samira1973

Hi,

Well I have not heard fro CA after I send them the settelment offer 2 or almost 3 weeks ago.

What you think It going to hapen next?

Thanks

Witch site you get your free creedit score at?

6. JoshuaHeckathorn

I would still give them some more time to respond before doing anything else.

For real FICO scores, I get them from MyFico. You can always check out CreditKarma.com for a free score too, but it's not an actual FICO score. It's basically just an estimate to give you a general idea of where your score currently stands. I wouldn't rely on it for anything important.

7. samira1973

Do you know any thing about www.annualcreditreport.com ?
    I think you can get free creditreport once year for free. what you think?
    Thanks

8. JoshuaHeckathorn

Yes- that's where you should always get a free credit report from each CRA once a year. I usually pull one free report every 3-4 months from a different CRA. You won't get your FICO credit scores though unless you buy them separately.

9. samira1973

Hello,

Well nothing yet.It has been a month after I send the settelment offer,but no respond from the collection.

What you think is it bad idea that I mad the settelment letter?

Thanks

10. JoshuaHeckathorn

Did you end up pulling your credit reports again, and is the CA still reporting the collection?

11. samira1973

Hi

Yes I got it for the last three month from Creditkeeper.com

It look like the CO THE ORIGINAL are reporting it on my credit report,but nothing about the collection beside the pull out my credit report almost every month,and also the original pulling my credit reprt all the time. Can I disput
    Do you know if the credit score I get from the Creditkeeper is the real thing,or do I have to get it from the Decision Management - Predictive Analytics - FICO

Also for the last three month when I pull my credit report The scores change on the 2 but not on TransUnion it still the same for the last 3 month any reson whay,or do I have to disput it?
    Thanks

12. billbauer

billbauer Well-Known Member

Well, I see you are getting some good info and some bad info, the worst of which is that you should send a cease & desist letter. Don't even mention the phrase in any letter to any debt collector. FDCPA provides the proper wording so people don't have to use that phrase.

Why are you even worried about Statute of Limitations? It can vary and might be anything from 3 years to 6 years since it is based on a written contract, not an open ended contract as so many like to claim. Judges will rule that it is a written contract every time. So much for the shorter 5 year SOL in your state.

And where did you get your DV letter? I wouldn't give two cents for any and all of the DV letters on the internet even if I found the .02 in the parking lot at the local 7-11 store.

13. samira1973

Well,I did not pay any thing for any letter.

So you mean even after the five years the judge will keep the contracy active?

What you mean a phrase of any?

So what the letter the cease and desist it going to do for me if the have copy of the contract,and also when I called the OC the told me to call the collection agency?
    Thanks

14. billbauer

I didn't say anything about your having paid any money. What I said is that I wouldn't give two cents for all the DV letters I could find on the internet. That statement has nothing to do with anyone else.
    What five years? What state law are we talking about here. You said that a written contract carries a 6 year SOL by the laws of your state. If you want to claim some other statute applies then you will have to show the judge what statute you refer to and how it applies to your situation or the 6 year will apply.
    Far more harm than good in most situations. Stands a great change of getting you sued in many instances because you have left them no other way to communicate with you.

Maybe you would get lucky and they ignore you. That happens and when it does you have a cause of action for federal court.
    So?

So why would you want to do that? I wouldn't.

15. BCOHEN2010

BCOHEN2010 Well-Known Member

Nowhere here was the dollar amount of the alleged debt mentioned. Although I am definitely NOT suggesting OP send a cease and desist letter, for debts that are small enough, this can be a valid strategy. Many people have told me that for debts under $300, the chances of a lawsuit are so small that a C & D would not be a bad idea. For debts in the $300 to $500 range, it may or may not be a good strategy depending on the creditor. For debts above that, it will definitely result in a law suit.

In any case, I have never tried sending a C & D letter, because it was easier to avoid creditor harassment by simply getting rid of my cellphone, getting a home phone with unlisted number, and never answering calls from unknown persons.

16. billbauer

I would say that the only safe situations to send a C&D under are the following.

You don't owe the debt and are well prepared to prove it. Maybe that would hold true if the alleged debt is outside stat. or you really can prove that you did nothing to incur the debt. There are a few other reasons why you can prove they got the wrong party.

Maybe you already paid the debt and can prove it.

You got rid of your cellphone just to avoid creditor harassment? Did you not realize that cellphones have contact lists and once a call is made from someone you don't want to deal with all you need is to put them in your contact list and when their name shows up you just ignore it. Salesmen, creditors alike. Don't get rid of the phone. Get rid of the nuisance the easy way. Put them in your contact list.

Never answer calls from unknown persons? How else will you know whether you want to talk to them or not? Might be a call you really wanted or maybe better yet a call from a debt collector. Wouldn't want to miss one of those now, would we?

17. BCOHEN2010

Actually, I didn't get rid of the cellphone to avoid creditor harassment, but it did have that effect. I made the mistake of using the phone for my job rather than accepting a payroll deduction for a company phone and ended up with a huge overage that I couldn't afford to pay. I tried to get the cellphone provider to reduce the bill but they wouldn't budge so I quit paying on it and let it charge off. However, since that cellphone number was on file with other creditors that I quit paying when my hours were cut at work, I was getting collection calls on it. Now I never get them, and I'm very happy about that.

18. samira1973

Well I do own more than $500 I think ceas and desist letter will not do me any good.

I also never received a phone call from the CA ever.The only way I know they are the collecting the debt for the OC from is when I called the OC creditor and tried to ask them about my account,and they said it is with CA for the last 2 month.So I said well I never got a call from them. After I hung up the phone with OC half our later I get the first call from the CA and that was the first and the last.
    I also did send them letter asking them not to call me,and any thing has to be in writing.
    I send a settelment offer a month ago,but I have not heard from them yet.

What you think I need to do next?

19. BCOHEN2010

Personally, I would do nothing. The more time that passes without a payment, and without the creditors taking legal action, the more likely that you can eventually settle for much less money. That is the strategy I am employing, and hopefully it will be successful.

Currently, I have 2 charged off credit cards, a charged off cellphone contract, a charged off bank account, and several medical bills which have gone to collections and been charged off. All of the debts were charged off from 2008 to 2009. I have received settlement offers in the mail on most of these debts, however the percent that they're asking for is too high, and I am currently not working, so I could not pay even if I wanted to. However, as time progressed, I got more generous settlement offers from some of the creditors. Discover Card was willing to settle for 50 percent, and T-Mobile was willing to settle for 40 percent.

For me, it's a moot point, because due to repeated layoffs and a general decline of the industry in which I was working, I decided to take my family's advice and go to college. As a full-time student, I don't have the money, or the desire to pay anything on these debts ever again. In the event of a lawsuit, I will file for bankruptcy protection.

Depending on how large your total debts are compared to your income, you might want to consider that as well.

20. samira1973

Thanks for the info.
    I did make a sttelment offer when I had the money,and I had to sell my car,but they never respond so to late now all the money gone.
    I am just shock that I never received more than one call fro the collection.
    What you mean charge off?
    If charged off than whay they still want to get pay?