Collection pd, agency keeps updating CR

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tsurvey, Jan 18, 2011.

1. tsurvey

tsurvey New Member

My credit report properly shows that the account is paid in full, but the collection agency keeps "updating" the report every month. It makes it appear that I just paid the account instead of paying it back in 2007. I am trying to get a HELOC and was told that I have collection report in December. I was flabbegasted and told her I have a perfect 4 year history; that's how I found out about this updating. Is there anything I can do about this practice? I am in Colorado if that matters.

2. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you've discovered a way for debt collectors to continue to harass people who do the right thing and pay off their debts. They can "update" (even if they don't really change anything) all they want. In all likelihood it's an automated process that pings the credit bureaus every 30 days.

There isn't much you can do about it. The good news is that your "paid as of" or "paid in" dates should never change, just your "last updated" date. Any lender worth talking to will do a manual review of your credit report and see this.

3. tsurvey

tsurvey New Member

Thank you. I was afraid of that. I do think it would be worth a letter to the medical organizations that used this bottom feeder that I will not ever use their services again and will recommend to others not to use them since they support unethical practices. It's not much, but it will make me feel better:) I appreciate your response.